"Wildcard" pins

This is probably a pretty “niche” question, but here goes:

I’m using a LittleFuse SP720 TVS Diode Array to protect inputs from voltage spikes. The IC has +V, GND, and then 14 pins that each clamp on overvoltages. It doesn’t matter at all which input line goes to which pin on this protection IC. Basically, it would be the ideal if in PCBNew I could just draw the traces based on what is most convenient, rather than having to go back to the schematic editor and re-draw the connections to different pins. Is there a way to insert the part and just draw traces without caring where they connect?

Thanks!

WireIt would do that for you. Then you could backport the nets you drew in PCBNEW back to your schematic.

2 Likes

You might like to look at the ‘WireIt’ plugin from Xesscorp.

Think that should do it for you.

EDIT - Looks like Dave @devbisme beat me to it!

2 Likes

Thanks to both of you. That WireIt plugin looks like just what I need. Its late here, so I’ll try in the morning.

Basically, what I’m making is a “breakout board” to push terminals with overvoltage protection, also some driving ICs not shown, but ultimately it doesn’t matter too much which pin from the IDC connector ends up on which push terminal for connecting external cables, as I haven’t written the software yet.

I installed your plugin, and when I select it from Tools > External Plugins it puts the icons on the main KiCad window instead of PCBNew.

Which is OK for me doing the project-- I have two monitors, so the KiCad window can sit over in the other monitor and clicking the icons there has the effect in PCBNew.

Anyway, it otherwise is working, so thanks a lot!

@devbisme Now I see the wiring gets updated manually. When I start PCBNew in standalone, since no point to have schematic editor open anyway, it works.

Now another problem. I try to dump the changes, and even when I select an existing text file, I get this error in the terminal:

Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "/home/andrew/.kicad/scripting/plugins/WireIt.py", line 649, in do_dump
        with open(self.dump_name, r'w') as fp:
    FileNotFoundError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory:`

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "/home/andrew/.kicad/scripting/plugins/WireIt.py", line 658, in do_dump
        debug_dialog('Something went wrong!', e)
      File "/home/andrew/.kicad/scripting/plugins/WireIt.py", line 40, in debug_dialog
        msg = '\n'.join((msg, str(exception), traceback.format.exc()))
    NameError: name 'traceback' is not defined

I hardcoded the filename, and it works, so that’s my work-around for now.

Board is ready to be made, still ugly, but only 3 vias (which will be actually jumper wires) needed.! :slight_smile: board|588x500

Can you provide the KiCad version info using the Help => About KiCad => Copy Version Info button?

Application: Pcbnew
Version: 5.1.4, release build
Libraries:
wxWidgets 3.0.4
libcurl/7.65.0 OpenSSL/1.0.2r zlib/1.2.11 c-ares/1.13.0
Platform: Linux 4.19.57-gentoo x86_64, 64 bit, Little endian, wxGTK
Build Info:
wxWidgets: 3.0.4 (wchar_t,wx containers,compatible with 2.8) GTK+ 3.24
Boost: 1.65.0
OpenCASCADE Community Edition: 6.9.1
Curl: 7.65.0
Compiler: GCC 8.3.0 with C++ ABI 1013

Build settings:
USE_WX_GRAPHICS_CONTEXT=OFF
USE_WX_OVERLAY=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_MODULES=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_PYTHON3=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON_PHOENIX=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_ACTION_MENU=ON
BUILD_GITHUB_PLUGIN=ON
KICAD_USE_OCE=ON
KICAD_USE_OCC=OFF
KICAD_SPICE=ON

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.