Why this error? "sym-lib-table', line 5: '=' expected."

Newbie here. Version 5.10. Opened a project and started updating with symbols in current library. Library saved in my project folder. Whenever I open the project I see this error for 5 lines, but only 3 lines exist in the file. Here is complete message:
1:35:57 PM: file ‘C:\Users\Owner\Documents\RAF\RAF Electronics\Open Programmer Project\sym-lib-table’, line 1: ‘=’ expected.
1:35:57 PM: file ‘C:\Users\Owner\Documents\RAF\RAF Electronics\Open Programmer Project\sym-lib-table’, line 2: ‘=’ expected.
1:35:57 PM: file ‘C:\Users\Owner\Documents\RAF\RAF Electronics\Open Programmer Project\sym-lib-table’, line 3: ‘=’ expected.
1:35:57 PM: file ‘C:\Users\Owner\Documents\RAF\RAF Electronics\Open Programmer Project\sym-lib-table’, line 4: ‘=’ expected.
1:35:57 PM: file ‘C:\Users\Owner\Documents\RAF\RAF Electronics\Open Programmer Project\sym-lib-table’, line 5: ‘=’ expected.

And here is the file:
(sym_lib_table
(lib (name pic18f2550)(type Legacy)(uri ${KIPRJMOD}/pic18f2550.lib)(options “”)(descr “”))
(lib (name oprog-cache)(type Legacy)(uri ${KIPRJMOD}/oprog-cache.lib)(options “”)(descr “”))
(lib (name oprog_raf01-cache)(type Legacy)(uri ${KIPRJMOD}/oprog_raf01-cache.lib)(options “”)(descr “”))
)

Any help?

This seems related to the major issue I just had with KiCad.

I do not know for certain, but it appears to me that the Symbol LIbrary Table should be just one line; and such that it would be parsed differently.

ON EDIT: Can you also share the -rescue.lib contents?

I have uploaded a separate project that seems to also be potentially affected by the Symbol Library Table.

sym-lib-table.txt (272 Bytes)

The .Pro project name is" ###### ######"; the “space” character (ACSII code 0x20) seems to be recognized.

That should not be here! the cache lib is not to be included in the library table. (It is implicitly used by kicad.)
Did you manually add it? (Are you the original author of the project or did you download it from somewhere?)

Edit: the same is true for the second cache lib that is included in your project.

The sym-lib-table does not contain a rescue lib. -> there should not be one in the project.

I have some projects migrated from v4 to v5 with the rescue.lib entry in the sym-lib-table.

And I’m pretty sure I didn’t add the rescue.lib with the library manager or in any other way.

Yes this is exactly what my statement implies. If kicad generates a rescue lib then it is automatically added to the lib table. (If not then this is a bug)

I simply used this assumption to further arrive at the statement: No rescue lib in the lib table means no rescue lib in the project. (It further relies on “The user did not manually remove the rescue lib from the lib table after it was automatically added”)

Edit To make it clear: this discussion is about the rescue library. The cache lib is different in the fact that it is never found in the library table. (The fact that two cache libs are included hints at a major misuse of this library and could very well be part of the reason why strange errors appear.)

1 Like

Did you manually add it? (Are you the original author of the project or did you download it from somewhere?)

I did not add anything. And yes, this is a project I downloaded. Some symbols do not show up, so I have been going over the schematic and correcting errors by putting in symbols from current lib. I think the last update to original was 2010.

KiCad behaved very differently back then. You might even run into trouble when opening the pcb side. Especially with zones.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.