Why "mirrored plot" is unavailable in Plot section?

Hi there!
I’m trying to create a assembly files.
For the top layer everything is just fine (first I plot file to gerbers: edgecuts, fsilk,ffab and fmask than I create a PDF using gerber -viewer.com).
But if I’m trying to output gerbers for the bottom which I will need in mirrored view the corresponding checkbox is gray (unavailable):

I can not understand why? How can I enable mirrored plot?

Looks to me like Mirror is disabled for Gerber and DXF, but is an option for PDF, SVG, HPGL, & Postscript.

I guess the thinking is Gerber and DXF load into other software, and are not printer-immediate.

For assembly files, you could use PDF plot, (or SVG etc) which does have mirror ?

2 Likes

Now I mirrored PDF which can be printed in mirror view (again in PDF).
After I spend some time with plot function I made same conclusions: looks like mirror disabled for Gerber and DXF which is explainable.

I would like to see mirror option been available in Gerber for the bottom layer.

This would make things easier in generating Gcodes of the bottom layer in mirror.

I can not use PDF, SVG, HPGL or Postscript unless you are printing to printer to make your PCB’s.

1 Like

The Gerber viewer allows mirrored printing.
I think that your problem is using a CNC mill to cut tracks on the bottom side, so you want ti mirror the Gerber file itself?
If so, raise this as a wishlist item on Launchpad

1 Like

This a workaround that I got from http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=1164.0

You can manually edit your Gerber files to include %MIA1B1*% at the top (near other similar statements) and this will mirror your Gerber.

I’d like to see the option again in PCBnew too though.

Thanks a lot nickwest! I just had to change %MIA1B1*% to %MIA1B0*%. With the first option, it seems to mirror the Gerber in a vertical and horizontal way. What I need is only vertical or horizontal, not both. I’m going to make my pcb with a Cyclone CNC.
Thanks a lot!

Experiencing the same problem just now in V5.1.2. I notice when “Mirrored plot” is selected, everything (not just the bottom layer) is mirrored. I have not found out yet why I would want to mirror everything, but option to just mirror the bottom layer would be more useful.

You can select which layers are plotted on the left. Plot bottom layer mirrored then plot everything else not mirrored, problem solved.

1 Like

Thanks qu1ck. I was aware of that and had to do something like it in the end. It’s just not the elegant solution I was looking for. With so many tick boxes to set the layers needed you just don’t want to keep tweaking all that just to get one mirrored layer. Being able to use saved “Plot Settings” is another way of ameliorating the inconvenience. Not the end of the world I accept.

You can also script custom plot job with individual settings for each layer in python and use it with one click of a button after initial time investment.