Why are there unending circles on kicad PCBs

I opened my finished layout this morning only to find weird unending circiles all over that cannot be deleted from the design. Anyone knows how to get rid of this? Why am I seeing this?

First: KiCad creates a backup directory inside your project directory. You may want to save the zip files in there because older backups will get deleted while working on a project.

Second:

Move one of the footprints (What are they?) Do the circles move with them?
Can you select the circles? on which layers are they?

It looks like a trivial project. You can zip it up and upload it here, but you first have to gain a bit of “experience” before the anti-spam bot allows such things. See the link below for more info.

Thanks @paulvdh. The company is migrating from Easy-PC to Kicad. This is a trial project.

The circles are on all layers and move when I some certain parts are moved. The circles cannot be isolated from those parts neither can they be highlighted. The circles go away once those parts are deleted and are restored once the parts are borught back.

well from your description, i suspect the circles are inside your footprint, if so you can edit them with the footprint editor and remove the offenders.

1 Like

Thanks @Claudio.Lorini.Gone inside the footprints but can’t find the offender. Is there something I am not seeing? or is there another viewing window I can see that from?
Nothing seems out of the ordinary in the pin properties, see attached.

sorry can only do one media per post.

Can you zoom in a bit on the footprints on the PCB, I suspect one of the features in the footprint is being turned into that huge circle, you might just simply replace it in the footprint.

Where did this footprint come from ?

Thanks @RaptorUK .
The footprints were made from scratch.
I have tried replacing the footprint manually but no luck.
It was all good last night when I last worked on the project.

Apologies guys! Checked the stack up and found some weird number in ‘default - clearance’. Got it back to the match with the rest of the fields and issue has been resolved.
Thanks for your help.

3 Likes

The important question is: Which way those weird numbers came to your settings?
This may be a consequence of some KiCad bug.
Thursday I started do design first PCB with V8. I think V8 may still hide a lot of bugs to be found.
It can also be a user mistake. When I moved to KiCad (2017) I switched also from mils to mm.
I think it is possible to enter some values thinking in mils while KiCad understand them in mm and vice versa.

While fidling with the values in net classes, the deafult was left at 0.6 in, a value outrageously different to others, hence the resulting big circles. I had the value changed back, unit to mils as oppose to mm and things appeared normal as they should.

I hope you have saved a backup of the faulty state. I would have a look at whether you just made a beginners mistake or if this could be a bug in KiCad.

To gain some more “experience” you can click on a few topics and let them sit for a while working on something else. Once you have reached “basic” level, you can upload your test project.

There are also several moderators on this forum who can bump users to basic level, but I am not among those.