Where to set the plugins path?

I wonder where to set the folder/directory where I want to have the plugins located. I prefer to have all libraries and all plugins on an external SSD which I can bring with me for different work places.

Click on Preferences / Configure paths.

The variable is KICAD8_3RD_PARTY if you are running V8

Thanks, if I have my 3d models, and other libraries at one disk, and the plugins on a different disk, how do I set up 2 different “_3RD_PARTY” locations?

If they are your own libraries then you can add custom variable and set up your libraries to reference your custom variable. If they are also from the plugin manager then everything will be in KICAD8_3RD_PARTY path, that’s not configurable.

qu1ck, sorry if I don’t understand your reply.

KICAD8_3RD_PARTY configures where the kicad’s built in plugin manager stores things. It will include all packages from the plugin manager, plugins, libs, others. You can’t have libraries from plugin manager be in a different location (at least not through normal means).

But if you are talking about libraries that you added manually, not through plugin manager, that you can separate and store wherever you want.

Official Plugin’s have a ‘Meta’ file and can be installed by clicking “Install from File…” in the ‘Plugin and Content Manager’ (the main Kicad Window/Panel - screenshot below).

[Note: on my Kicad v7 version, from the Manager, I can also install my custom Plugins that have Mata file ]

Un-Official Plugins (like those created by users - Simple and Complex Plugins) are installed by simply placing them in the Scripting>Plugins folder (these do Not contain Meta files).
You can also place them where you want and create a Link to the folder.

BlackCoffee, that looked promising, but I didn’t get it to work. Could not find any files to be cllickable/added. This (below) is exactly what i want to do, for the plugins, point to a specific folder – completely free of choice:

/Volumes/External_SSD/Path1/Path2/Whateverpath3/KicadPlugins

On my Mac, Kicad creates a Kicad folder in Documents. That folder contains what you see below.

It remains intact when updating Kicad so, it’s best to keep them as-is.

In previous versions, the Plugins folder could be manually set (I don’t know about v7 because I learned (by experience and frustration) to keep them as they are (as shown).
In fact, all of the Folders shown in 7.0 folder remain in-tact and I place my STEP files, Footprints and Symbols in the indicated folders.

ADDED: This may help to understand relationships (including the Path)…

Thanks. I wonder if it’s possible to add in Environment Variables a line with this: KICAD7_PLUGINS_DIR and point to whatever folder I like? Do Kicad understand/accept “KICAD7_PLUGINS_DIR”? Btw, I never want to use the system folders for my KiCad settings, I point the paths away from there from every version of Kicad i use, to external drives. For the moment I use Kicad 7, 8.01, 8.x-test and 8.99 without problems. The only thing I want to understand by this thread is where in KiCad to get the information where the installed Plugins are located. I have never really understood this part and just accepted it seemed to work whatever this was. Now I want to understand :slight_smile:

(in General)
Is this (?) possible?
Will this (?) work?
Can I do this (?) ?

Why don’t you try it and see what works and doesn’t work…

Re: Paths… You could gain insight by clicking the ‘?’ icon in the Configure Paths panel…

And, ‘yes’ you can set whatever path you want - just be prepared to manually update anything in non-standard Kicad Paths (oh, and Click in the Path-Field to access the setting…

Thanks Coffee. Found it. In Configure Paths you set the path to plugins with this line: “KICAD7_SCRIPTING_DIR” or “KICAD8_SCRIPTING_DIR” followed by /your path to the plugins/ (I found it thanks to you showing your paths/showing the “scripting” folder which I didn’t know was a “default” folder.)

:white_check_mark:

And, FYI - I show setting to a USB Flash-Drive… below

I guess the TOFU is fun/a joke? Or what is it?

Can name stuff as desired… Tofu is nothing-just a word… showing how to set a Path to external drive. What it is called (Tofu) is independent of the actual Name/Link

But shouldn’t that path also have a link/function to the KiCad application to have a vital function?

I’m not sure what you mean so, I’ll explain it this way:

• You see that I set the PATH to the USB drive
• Then, to make it’s files accessable, I set the Footprint’s Global Path (could also set Global Symbols if the USB drive contained them)
• Quit Kicad (so all get’s registered)
• Then, select the Footprints Icon and grab desired Footprint from the USB drive. I did not put any on the drive so, there won’t be anything to select but, you see it listed in screenshot…

I’m not sure why you have to set the PATH for the USB stick in “Configure Paths” if you want to add your own locations for the footprints/symbols etc. Isn’t it the same if you just add the paths for the libraries in “manage symbol libraries” and “manage footprint libraries” without adding that info in the “Configure paths”? Or what important point do i miss here?

You didn’t miss anything - ‘Yes’, setting the Footprints and Symbols path is all that is needed. Why do I set it? Because I’m old and stubborn… and habits are difficult to break. And, it ensures finding my Templates…