Where is my 3D model?

I made a board with 2 solder pads and I exported this board as a .step file.

This board is to be stuck through a base board with a cutout. So I made a footprint with dogbones and al.

Than I want to add the 3d Model of the board I just made. The 3d preview looks fine… But it is simply is no where to be found after the import.

I rotated my camera ofcourse to see if it is somewhere in the var distance. But I can’t find this board anywhere.

I also tried adding the step file to an existing component like a drilling hole (which I do sometimes) but also here. The 3D model of the board, isn’t there

Application: KiCad x64 on x64

Version: 8.0.5, release build

Libraries:
	wxWidgets 3.2.5
	FreeType 2.13.2
	HarfBuzz 9.0.0
	FontConfig 2.14.2
	libcurl/8.8.0-DEV Schannel zlib/1.3.1

Platform: Windows 11 (build 22631), 64-bit edition, 64 bit, Little endian, wxMSW
OpenGL: Intel, Intel(R) Iris(R) Xe Graphics, 4.6.0 - Build 31.0.101.5333

Build Info:
	Date: Sep  7 2024 02:39:48
	wxWidgets: 3.2.5 (wchar_t,wx containers)
	Boost: 1.85.0
	OCC: 7.8.1
	Curl: 8.8.0-DEV
	ngspice: 42
	Compiler: Visual C++ 1939 without C++ ABI

Build settings:

Am I overlooking something?

Kind regards :coffee:

Bas

Damn I found them… now I must figure out how to fix the coordinates in the footprint. The offset is too extreme to fix with the conventional coordinates.

I think remaking the .step file around the abs 0.0 pos will do the trick?

For this I recommend FreeCAD with StepUp workbench. You can import board to create a step file out of it. You can import a footprint and align a step file for it. When you export the 3D model again it will be in the correct 0,0 position.

During Step export, you have a bunch of options for setting the (0, 0) point of the 3D model:

I usually use the Drill/Place file origin, and then adhere to the KLC. That is, mostly pin one for THT footprints, and the center for SMT footprints.

You may want to investigate StepUp plugin for FreeCAD which helps on that step.