Where do we post feature requests?

I’ve read the posts regarding this, but they seem to be out of date. I get a launchpad.net link which directs me to github which has nothing but bug and issue reports. A feature request isn’t a bug. I feel like I’m missing something.

Feature requests should be made as issues on gitlab (note that the right website is gitLAB, not gitHUB): KiCad / KiCad Source Code / kicad · GitLab

Make sure to include your version info as directed in the new issue template.

It’s usually a good idea to discuss your proposed feature on this forum a bit before you open an issue, however - that will help give you an idea if other people agree, if it’s already been discussed, it’s already been planned, there’s already an open issue tracking it, if it fits with the direction KiCad is going, etc.

1 Like

The easiest way is to: KiCad / Help / About Kicad / Report Bug.
I agree that a bug is not a feature request, but both feature requests and bugs are posted in the same way on gitlab. “Simple” users on gitlab can not add tags (such as feature request) on gitlab. Doing it directly via KiCad also ensures that full version info is added, and this is mandatory. Without full version info, issues on gitlab get closed automatically by the bot.

That is the currently implemented system, and it lays the burden of marking issues as feature requests in the lap of the KiCad developers themselves (and their allies), and that is apparently how they want it.

Alternatively, you can start a topic here. Maybe your feature request is not very well thought through and it can be refined with input from other users. (Ah, gkeeth also already mentoned this).

1 Like

We have a number of people with permissions to add tags beyond the developers, btw. This is the way we want it because it’s sometimes nuanced whether something is a bug or a feature.

1 Like

Thank you. I will post the topic here in a bit.

1 Like

I always put “Feature Request” in the first line when I post one

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.