Where do I find this Mounting hole Pad in the footprints?

Hi guys,
So, pretty much all the mounting I’ve been using from the footprint is this one

which comes out like this
copper_pad
Like a copper fill or something because you can see the golden or copper pad.
But what I want is the one used on raspberry pi

which obviously looks like the holes on the board has been shaved in.
What’s the name of this footprint in the Footprint list ?? Or it’s not a footprint ??
I have browsed through the mounting holes and it’s probably there but when I use the 3D viewer
they all look the same thus it’s hard to tell.

Thanks,

I don’t know the meaning of the term “shaved in” regarding the mounting holes of the Pi, but isn’t the lighter colour just the base material, in other words, solder mask is removed?

Interesting! You might be on to something there… Honestly, I never pictured it like you have.
Ok so how can I accomplish this with KiCad ?

If you choose the footprint right above the one you have chosen in the top screenshot, and then edit the footprint in order to increase the pad size to be larger than the hole, (right click on the blue hole → Properties → Diameter, under “Pad shape”) and set the copper layers to “None”, this will create the removal of the solder mask around the hole, shown in darker blue/purple.

There might be other ways or better ways, but this was the first one I happened to think about.

1 Like

I think he means as if the copper has been shaved away, exposing the base material. He wants no solder mask and no copper.

1 Like

hmk,
Alright… your solution seems like it should do the trick.
I have followed your solution.
However, look at this image

You said that lighter colour is just the base material thus
I suppose the overlapping of the solder mask would obviously not cause any issues right ?
Also, this image

The back side mounting holes are dark colour, is this normal ?
I have applied the same mounting holes to the back side but unlike the front side, the colour is dark.

Thanks,

Hmm… starting to look like a bug report might be on the cards.

The lighter colour in the photograph of the Pi board is the base material, but with KiCad default colours in the 3D viewer the base material is the dark brown you see on the back side, and on the front side the yellow looks like there is still copper there.
Do you have the “Copper layers” set to “None” like in my screenshot above?

1 Like

Yes, I have.

I unfortunately still get the same result.
Anyways, no big deal for now.
I’ll stick with the old fashion.
My Kicad version is 8.0, are you using a version beyond this ??

I also forgot to ask, out of curiosity, what is this blue ring that appears floating atop
the mounting hole ?? strangely enough I do not see this on the backside of the board

So far, I’ve had no issues with it thus I suppose it’s irrelevant ??

You can just select a mounting hole with no pads either side and so not plated thru as well basically just a hole as if you took a drill and drilled it yourself but easier. Thats what I do if I dont want any pad and of course you can draw your copper zone around it if you want no electrical connection at all.
:mouse:

Mousey, I tried that also but the results were the same.
It’s alright.

Try the entry immediately above the one you are using, “MountingHole, 2.5mm”

1 Like