Where are through-hole footprint with "longpads" for Resistors, diodes, capacitors?

I could not find through-hole footprint with “longpads” for Resistors, diodes and capacitors?
Please let me know from where we can get footprint with longpads, or is there any property in pads to change size and shape?

I found out there is menu “Dimensions->pads” to change pad and drill shape and size.
Now please let me know, is there any best pad size and shape for hobby pcbs that we can easily made at home?
Also is there any way I can apply pad change globally?

The standard through hole designs are generally not a problem to use at home. Many of the long pads are specifically for SMD devices that aren’t meant to be hand soldered. Indeed, a longer pad can wick more heat while soldering and make it harder to use. I think you are worrying about something that isn’t a problem.

3 Likes

Are you asking about pad sizes that can be etched and drilled at home, or pad sizes that can be easily soldered when assembling components on a board?

If you are concerned about etching and drilling a board, it varies A LOT depending on your fabrication methods. (Are you using photoresist, toner-transfer, direct milling, etc.) There used to be a Yahoo Group named something like “DIY PCB’s”, or “Homemade PCB’s”, etc, that may provide a good answer to your question.

If you are worried about manual soldering, it depends on what equipment you have and how much practice you have with it. If you don’t have a moderate-priced, temperature-controlled soldering station (such as the Weller WES51, Hakko FX-888, etc) please invest in one. They tend to last a lifetime in hobby service if not physically abused, so a used unit that heats up and cycles its temperature control is generally a safe bet. Buy a few new tips, of common shapes, from the original manufacturer.

Your idea of elongating pads on through-hole devices has merit, and is definitely the way to go for SMD footprints. Most board fabricators require an annular ring of at least 8 mils - 10 mils on all through-hole pads. In my opinion, an additional 20 - 30 mils of exposed copper in the direction you will solder from is quite adequate for hand soldering, unless you are attacking the board with the chisel-tipped monster you use for sweating copper pipes, repairing radiators, etc. Learn to use the “Offset” feature in the footprint editor, so you add copper mostly in the direction where you need it, not around the entire pad.

(Yes, that means you’ll have to learn about making your own footprints. Trust me - it’s not that difficult, and you’ll need to learn it before very long regardless.)

If you seed a search engine with strings like “printed circuit board design” you will uncover enough tutorials to keep you confused for a year or two. Some of them are oriented specifically toward hobbyists, and include the reasoning behind some of their recommendations.

Dale

2 Likes