Where are the D-SUB DB9 gone?

I think It’s a problem of my Linux version. I tried Kicad in a virtual machine using the same Ubuntu version that I have installed, using my own computer as host. It works! I can read the libraries from Github. Both version of Kicad are the same, indeed.

It’s not a proxy problem because then Kicad, in the guest machine, couldn’t connect to github.
I’m going to investigate this problem.
Thank everbody!

I am at a loss with this too, there are go Connectors_DSub in the 3D model library. Not that I can find anyway. Quite a few models are missing now, common ones. I think someone has decided to “quality Control” the previous library and as a result users are left with nothing in those cases. There are many good models, but DB9 and DB15 are missing and I was hoping to use them.

The old models had the wrong scale. They where made in an obsolete toolchain. They where completely unusable for any collaboration with mechanical cad programs. (The new focus of the 3d lib is to support this foremost. Pretty pictures are of less concern to us.) This is why they are not included in v5. We value quality more than quantity and took the chance to get rid of a lot of legacy package that just dragged us down in the past.

1 Like

Any updates on where the current DB9 connectors are?

For Kicad 5.1 onwards, you will find them under ‘Connector’ in the symbol finder, just search for DB9.
For footprints they are under ‘Connector_Dsub’.
This is a very old thread …

Thank you for your response. I was not clear in my question, I should have been more specific, the thread seems to be about the footprint or 3d package for DB9.

Where are the 3D models of DB9(DE9) connectors to be found in KiCad 5.1?

The default ${KISYS3DMOD}/Connector_Dsub.3dshapes/ directory includes the DB15(DA15), DB15HD(DE15HD), DB25, DB26HD(DA26HD), DB37(DC37), & DB44HD 3D models; but the DB9(DE9) models are not there.

Is there some other location that the 3D models for DB9(DE9) connectors are stored?

Or do I have a bad upgrade of KiCad 5.1? {This is on a Windows platform, should I try on a Linux platform?}

We allow footprints to be added without a 3d model file. Unlike with symbols and footprints where there is a strict requirement for every symbol to have the correct footprint in the lib.

The main reason for this decision is that one needs to learn another tool to make models and that making them in the required quality is quite a bit of work. So the 3d lib is then of course lacking a lot of models. (I doubt we would have much more models by forcing them to be added with every footprint as i guess we would then simply get a lot fewer footprint submissions)

TlDr: we allow footprints not to have 3d models which is why you can not expect every footprint to have one.

Thank you. What tools do I need to learn to be able to make the DE9 Male and DE9 Female 3D models?

Any 3d modelling software would do. We generally suggest the use of FreeCAD as it is open source. For personal use you can also check out some 3d model download pages.

Plus we have quite a few models in the official lib it seems https://github.com/KiCad/kicad-packages3D/tree/master/Connector_Dsub.3dshapes including models for dsub-9 and these should be part of 5.1.6

Thank you. I will go from 5.1.5 to 5.1.6 and see what is there.

Various manufacturers DB9 connectors are not interchangeable, be careful which one you want to use.

3 Likes