What's the formula used for the gcpw calculation?

Hello!

Does anyone know the formula KiCad uses for calculating the Z_0 impedance in the built-in coplanar waveguide with ground plane calculator?

KiCad is an Open Source project. There are a few C++ files in the location below with “transline” in the filename.

So you can look it up yourself, or wait in the hope someone posts a more direct answer.

Did not manage to find the correct formula from the source code, but for those interested, I used the calculator available at Coplanar Waveguide With Ground Calculator for an approximation, which resulted in a 5% difference. Will be including the findings in my M.Eng, with KiCad having the edge over the formula from chemandy.

I had not looked inside the files before my first post, but just now I had a 10 minute peek, I saw mostly string building / menu drawing, but also files included from the transline directory.

And in there there are files full with formula’s, for example:

I don’t know much about transmission lines, but I see tanh() functions and also sqrt( 1 - k2 * k2 ) so that is close at least.

1 Like

Thank you very much! At first glance, those formulas seem quite similar to those from Chemandy. I’m really tempted to do a mathematical comparison of the two if I can find the time before my deadline.

For those interested, here is the source from Chemandy: Transmission Line Design Handbook

These equations are always approximations. So long as you are using “normal” impedances, dielectric thicknesses and spacings, 5% is achievable and good enough. For better than that, you need expensive substrate and very good plating and etching control.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.