What to post here and what to kicad-users?

Can someone help me understand what I should post
here
and what I should post to

thanks
glen.

This Forum is the official KiCad user forum . . . . not sure what the other place is.

I forgot about that one.
I can remember seeing the big overview with the number of posts per month. Looks they had a decent amount of activity between 2011 and 2015, then declined to a low in 2019 and 2020 and never recovered.

Also note the over lists the number of posts, not the number of topics.

If you compare their statistics with this site: About - KiCad.info Forums

… then the difference is obvious. Their statistics are much more detailed :slight_smile: This site however has 10x more posts per month now than that other side had at it’s peak, and the difference now is more then 100:1.

It’s similar for https://www.eevblog.com/forum/kicad/ It’s a popular site for all sorts of electronic related stuff, but the KiCad section does not get much traffic. Also, posting a question on multiple forums is not a good idea. The people who answer the questions are often the same.

I am not sure what “official” means in the context of KiCad. Best I know, this forum was started by Chris Gammel from https://contextualelectronics.com/, and he also pays (donates) for the website hosting of this forum, but he has his own company and not much time. He has not logged in here for 6 weeks at the moment. Sometimes he gets called in for advice if the “regulars” are confused about some policy issue.

The KiCad Website also lists some other forums, but I don’t go there. Don’t understand Spanish nor Chinese either.

This is the place that the KiCad team directs users to when they need help. It is also linked from within the About dialog.

3 Likes

The mailing list had a lot of traffic before the forums got popular.
I guess many users of the list came here ( me included) and many users lost interest in KiCad too. I still receive messages from time to time.

Mailing lists because of their characteristics lost ground to forums. I prefer to keep email for higher priority communications and read forum posts at times of my choice. Many of them also got merged or blended with newsgroups. Ironically some forum features bring back email and horror, web push notifications for people with FOMO.

More like the ‘default’. I don’t believe there is an actual official link? As is, you’d have to sue each independently. :wink:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.