What makes a part interesting?

I have a schematic that when I generate a BOM is missing one component from the BOM.

The component appears to no be interesting as in getInterestingComponents()?

The part shows up in the net.components list.

I’m trying figure out how to modify the part to make it interesting so that it appears on my BOM (and more importantly to not inadvertently omit a component from a future BOM).

Thanks in advance,

Jacob

Wild guess - does it begin with a ‘#’ ? If so it’s considered a power pin and will appear on the schematic but not in the BOM. You can use this trick to good effect to show virtual components .

Yup, It is indeed a good effect. I use this as well.

Does what begin with a #?

I the part is connected to a power net:

How did you generate the BOM - what script did you use? Some of these, eg KiBOM specifically excludes test points from the final BOM.

Its a custom script based on bom_html_with_advanced_grouping.py that comes with kicad. I just tested with this script and it does the same thing.

My major concern is inadvertently leaving some parts off of a BOM then needing to pay for shipping again and having to wait for a couple of extra parts to come in. Murphy of course dictates that this will happen when I’m in a hurry.

Also note, my original question is what makes a component interesting? I can generate the BOM correctly if I just use net.components instead of getInterestingComponents().

Jacob

Test points are excluded from the BOM script automatically a there are also some other stuff.

EDIT:
Check lines 50-70:

https://github.com/KiCad/kicad-source-mirror/blob/master/eeschema/plugins/python_scripts/kicad_netlist_reader.py

That seems quite short sighted…

What if I want my test points on my BOM? Am I supposed change the part reference?

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/keystone-electronics/5270/12751718

But thanks, that answers my question of what is considered an interesting component:

Jacob

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.