What kind of symbol to use? (Audio connector)


I am trying to draw a schematic of a mono block amplifier and I am trying to figure out what symbols and footprints to use for the connections to the speaker and to the signal, say line input.
I think that if I could find an RCA jack, that would suit me well. Must be one out there somewhere, as common as it is.



The official library does not claim to include every possible component.

For the symbol side you can use the generic connector symbol. I don’t think we have a specialized symbol for RCA. So if you want a specialized symbol then you might need to create it your self.

I don’t know if there is a footprint in the lib for such a connector. And even if there is one, you will need to check if you are able to buy a fitting component before using it.
RCA is standardized on the connector side but not on the pcb side. Every connector can have a different landing pattern.

So my suggestion would be that you first check what connectors are available to you. (What can you buy at a supplier of your choice)
And then make a specialized footprint for that component.

You might also want to check your manufacturing capabilities as i fear some of these connectors might require oval holes. This might not be supported by every PCB manufacturer. (Or it would result in a more expensive board.)


for Eeschema you can use this

For the footprint I think there is nothing ready ATM…
you may found something at this repo:

But the best is what @Rene_Poschl suggested… make your own fp connector and may be contribute to KiCad github repo :smiley:


Thank you Maui, I had read all those posts and saw that coax connector, but for the life of me I could not find it.
Is it in SMA?

Then as I think of it, the line in, and speaker out will be chassis mounted so how do I indicate that so that the PCB comes out ok ?
I guess just leave a wire hanging.


What do you mean with “Is it in SMA”? The only place where the official lib has anything resembling a sma lib is in the new footprint libs. (Is it possible that you confuse footprints with symbols?)

In the library shipped with kicad 4.0.7 the connector_coaxial symbol will be found in the conn lib. I don’t know when this symbol has been added. So if you have a very early 4.0.x kicad version then it might not exist.

In the library shipped with kicad nightly it will be in Connector_Specialized.


Sorry for my confusion but I think that it is missing from my schematic library.
I am running 4.0.2.
I installed Kicad from the Ubuntu package installer. I will look and see how to do an upgrade.
Re my referring to SMA , on your screen shot, it looks like you did a search for SMA conn, and that prompted my question.
I mistook your search param for a library.


4.0.2 is hopelessly outdated. You might want to update :wink:


Ok, updated and found a bunch of new libraries on github.

Thanks again


See the attached PDF file and PNG file for the IEC 60617 graphic symbols for connectors, especially the coaxial plug & socket.
IEC60617 Symbols.pdf (12.1 KB)


Thank you very much .


A comment about assigning the class letter P, J, or X to a connector. The class letter for a connector is NOT based on the gender of the connector. The question then becomes what class letter to apply to a genderless connector, like an APC-7, or a connector that has both genders? From ANSI/ASME Y14.44 and IEEE 315 clause 24 standards, the rule is you have to look at a mating pair to determine which is the most movable and which is the most fixed. The most fixed takes a J (or X, depending) and the most movable takes a P. And if you have two cables that connect together both connectors use the P class letter.
Another question you had, whether you realize it or not, was how to handle the reference designation on the schematic diagram(s) if (1) the connector was soldered to a PCB ASSY (PCBA) and protruded through a hole in a panel. The connector would be part of the PCBA and on the parts list (PL) and schematic diagram for the PCBA. (2) If the connector was mounted by hardware to a panel and then soldered directly to a PCBA the same rule would apply as number (1). (3) If the connector was mounted to a panel and then connected to a PCBA with wires you would need a separate schematic diagram of the panel, probably with wires attached (wire uses class letter W), and then an interconnect schematic showing the connections. If you wanted to show the whole thing on a single schematic diagram and the panel was separate from the rest of the box or container then you would use, say, ref des prefix A1 for the panel and ref des prefix A2 for the PCBA. You then would have to have a schematic diagram for the PCB that was a subset of the whole schematic wherein you would strip away all the other parts/components that were not part of the PCBA. It all depends on how you provision it.


This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.