What kind of forum is this?

This is a discourse forum. It’s meant to allow discussion and casual browsing among members and guests without the need for heavy handed moderation. This hopefully removes the spambots that are rampant on many other sites. If you’re interested in how it works, check out this article on trust levels over on the Discourse site

You will need to gain trust levels by reading various threads before you are able to comment. At the very beginning, you will note that many are posted by me to get things started. Please excuse the startup pace as that’s always difficult on new forums.

3 Likes

I like the way that it allows me to log in with different services. That was pretty slick.

I’m just glad there’s someone for users to talk about it. There seems to be stuff for developers, but not as much for the users of the program.

Thanks for starting this!

I hope this forum gets momentum.
The original kicad yahoo group is increasingly difficult to use, thank you Yahoo for further screwing up already bad service…

Thanks for doing this, Chris!

And thanks a lot for the videos! Although not many new infos for me personally, but even the small “tricks” were very useful and I’m sure it’ll boost the uptake of kicad a lot!

All the best,
henry

Thank you so much Chris!
After trying to get/build Kicad on OS X for a couple of months and failing, I finally got it to work with the links you provided on the website.
This looks like a very fun type of forum!

What forum software is this site running?

It’s running Discourse. Written in Ruby on Rails/JS, runs on my Linux server.

I’ll check if my hosting supports Ruby, this forum software looks promising, I will maybe install it on my sites…

You actually don’t even need Ruby, it all runs on a virtual machine called Docker, which also assists with the install. Here is the guide: https://github.com/discourse/discourse/blob/master/docs/INSTALL.md

Nope, mine is a basic web hosting (not the dedicated linux type), and after the check they don’t support Ruby either. I only run Wordpress and few other php apps there, so it was plenty enough. Oh well, no biggie.

I run everything on Digital Ocean (which I love)