What is the point of sheet title blocks in PCB editor

We have checked that it worked at Win7 32 bit but we decided to use 64 bit and left Protel at old PC with Win XP.

I keep forgetting how old some people are (no offence :wink: ). I am too young to stop and think how the world used to be. I vaguely remember that I learned PCB making in something called ulticap and ultiboard. This was in the first year before we all moved to eagle. I think this was like 12 years ago

First time I designed PCB not at checkered paper but at PC was about 1989 and I had IBM-XT with 640k RAM and two 360k floppies and no HDD (was too expensive for me). I used B&W 14" TV converted to a monitor and driven from CGA output mixing RGB with resistors to get shades of grey to distinguish top from bottom. I had to swap floppies tens of times as I run Racal-Redac from floppies (4 floppies distribution).

My learning was back in early 1970s. Self adhesive tape on double size mylar sheets. Long before the PC was invented.

1 Like

Felt tip marker pens with oil-based ink on copper on one side phenolic PCBs.

Yeah, that was at home.

As an engineer to be (one day, hopefully, in those days) at Tertiary school, we played with the good stuff :crazy_face:

Title block used on PCBs [EDIT: on PCB drawings on the computer, not actually on the PCB which would just carry the name, the P/N, the companies name/logo, and date code] is to make a paper trail (electronic paper trail) in the event that you design and sell a product that injures someone and they sue. Date, name, use, revision lists are all parts of the title blocks I use for Schematics AND their associated PCBs. To me it’s just standard engineering and a requirement for maintaining order of the products design. Of course having too good of a trail can be bad for the designer but having too little is widely regarded as being worse.

I’ve made changes to devices I designed after 10 years and having all the info I need available in the title block helps.

But, this is all academic and JMO…it’s your business, you do you.

2 Likes

I wonder though it the fields in the title sheet make it into the PDF. (As searchable metadata, not as part of the printout.) That would make more sense for a trail for searching and indexing. That’s better than a pile of decaying dead trees.

It seems some fields do make it into the PDF from the schematic, but what about other fields, particularly custom ones, and what about the PDF from the PCB layout?

/Producer (KiCad PDF)
/CreationDate (D:20230908025314)
/Creator (Eeschema-PDF)
/Title (6 segment digit pair)

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.