What is PCBNew?

I’m using KiCad PCB Editor Version 6.0.5. Trying to figure out how to export a .gtp file to order a stencil. I’ve looked in the Fabrication Outputs menu, but can’t find a way to do this.
I found a manual here:

for a program called PCBNew, which seems to be able to create .gtp files. I also found this manual for PCBNew:

which makes it look like PCBNew and KiCad PCB Editor are the same program. Is this true? If so, is there a way to make .gtp files from PCB Editor Version 6.0.5? I did a word search in this manual for “.gtp” and found nothing.

“PCBnew” is indeed the same as the PCB Editor in KiCad. The name change (in the documentation) was done during KiCad V5 → V6. The program itself (on your “disk” drive) is still pcbnew. (You can sart it form the command line that way).

Files for stencils are normally just normal Gerber files. “.gtp” is one of the file names used for a gerber file in the old protel naming convention:

For creating gerber files for the stencils, you want to turn the paste layers on during gerber file creation.

You probably also want to turn the extended X2 format on, and the Gerber job file (That’s an extra, it does not hurt).

I didn’t did it in V6 yet, but in V5 when you generate gerber files one of them is the .gtp file (I understand is as Gerber Top Paste).
I looked in V6 (I just installed 6.0.6 few days ago) and there are F.Paste and B.Paste layers so I don’t expect problems with it.

How do I do this? I am running Version 6.0.6. There are no paste layers to select. (See screenshot.) There are also no paste layers in the “Appearance” column on the right side of the main window.

Then those layers are probably turned off in: PCB Editor / File / Board Setup / Board Stackup / Board Editor Layers

1 Like

paulvdh -

You are correct. That was the problem. I now have a .gtp file. THANKS SO MUCH! :slight_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.