What is a 'technology edge'?

Hi,

I’m hoping someone can help me understand what is meant by a ‘technology edge’.

I’m new to designing PCBs and I’ve been using jlcpcb to have them manufactured. I’ve been happy with what they’ve produced but they print a long ID number on the PCB. This hasn’t been an issue so far but my current project is supposed to look nice as well as be functional!

I asked their support if it’s possible for them not to print this on the board, this was their reply:

Good evening.

For us,we must add the customer ID on the boards.

If you do not want to add the ID on the boards,you could design the technology edge,and we could add the ID on the technology edge.

Pls kindly understanding,thanks a lot.

The support rep is clearly trying but English is not their first language. It’s only a problem because I’m not sure what they mean by ‘technology edge’.

Does anyone know how this might translate into KiCAD?

Thank you
-Mike

I suspect that they are suggesting you design the full panel and they will put the id on un-used space in the panel.

Yes, here’s their FAQ entry. In the FAQ entry, they call it the “dirty edge”, which makes much more sense than “technology edge.” But it sounds like you don’t need to design the panel yourself; you can just select “Panel by JLCPCB” when ordering your board.

panel-by-jlcpcb

Also, for what it’s worth, I’ve found that Elecrow offers very similar services and pricing to JLCPCB, but Elecrow doesn’t put ID numbers on the board.

That’s perfect. I had tried looking for a page like that but wasn’t sure what I was looking for.

Thank you very much for your help.

-Mike

I believe that JLCPCB can and will put their id anywhere in the board but if you place some text in the form JLCJLCJLCJLC where you actually want it and identify that area when you submit the board, they will use that in preference. I have not yet tried this so I can’t confirm but it is somewhere in their instructions.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.