What does a bold net label mean?

I created a schematic and some net labels (like a name of a wire) are bold. It is the black A above the green wire icon in Eeschema, and can be found on the menu on the right.

Even for one label which is a reference to another location on the page, one is bold, and the other is not, while other pairs are not bold.

The bug checker shows no errors.

Also in the manual, I cannot find anything about the meaning of a bold net label.

Does anybody know what it means?

You can set the visual style of a label however you like, but it has no effect on the schematic.

1 Like

@bobc I did not change it deliberately, some texts automatic went bold (I cannot recall when exactly). So I guess there is some special ‘meaning’ when a net label is bold, I just wonder what meaning.

You are probably referring to rendering method change that was in 5.1.2. Is it only bold on some zoom levels?
It’s only visual and has no changed semantics behind it.

1 Like

@qu1ck I don’t think it was depending on the zoom level, because I had the bold texts in one view (i.e. some labels were bold, others not, in the same zoom level). However, I already changed the bold texts to normal.

If you added some text (T) to the schematic with bold attribute & then proceed to create a label (L), it follows the attributes you used for previous text entry.
Same applies in reverse… i.e. if you put a label first & then proceed to add text.

1 Like

@apurvdate probably I accidentally switched the bold type on, and continued to add some texts, just was wondering that it has a special meaning (e.g. KiCAD generated bold texts to warn me for something).

Hello everyone,

I do have the same issue. But I am very sure, I neither changed the fonts to bold nor did I used it fo a label. It does not only appear in certain zoom levels. BUT it does even appear in pdf version of the schematics. It seams to me, Kicad changes the setup of the text and labels after saving on its own.

I use Kicad 5.1.0 and Win10. might that be a bug?

greetings,
HaPi

1 Like

The same happened to me today for the second time. Kicad 5.1.0-0 on MacOS Darwin 18.6.0 64-bit.

I just reloaded a project and all the labels now have the “Bold” property turned on in eeschema.

The first time was maybe 6 months ago on an older kicad version and I used the command line to fix the .sch file. Is this possibly a bug ?

1 Like

For now, a one-liner seems to fix it, just replace “board” wth your name:

cp board.sch board_backup.sch && awk ‘{if ($1 == “Text” && $8 == “12”) $8 = “0”; print}’ board_backup.sch > board.sch

2 Likes

Guess no one else experienced this?

I would try upgrading to 5.1.4
Version 5.1.0 is getting old and swarms with known bugs

1 Like

That’s always an option, thanks.

1 Like

Could be this one?

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.