[SOLVED!] What are you little plus sign?

What are you little pink plus sign? Why won’t you go away?
Has me totally baffled. I know I could ignore it but its making me nuts, haha.

Screen Shot 2023-06-03 at 11.05.33 AM

Perhaps a drill coordinate origin or grid coordinate origin?

thats what I thought, but no, I set that manually

It’s probably footprint centerpoint. It’s usually hidden under a pad or text so not always noticeable.

2 Likes

As @qu1ck mentioned, it is probably an “anchor”.

To find out, look through the “Appearance Manager” on the RHS of your screen. Pink is used in the “Layers” and “Objects” lists.

Toggle layers on and off by placing your cursor over the “eye” (top green arrow) and follow instructions.

If you wish to retain the cross, but want to change the color, hold cursor on the color rectangle beside the “eye” and follow the pop up instructions…

In general if you want to know what an artefact is, select it, and then see its properties in the status bar.

It looks like that, but it’s not. There is no footprint and it was there before I even added any to the board.

It does disappear with anchors, but I can’t figure out what it anchor’s to. Its not from a footprint. very weird!

it can’t be selected, I tried

If it switches on and off with the anchor, it is an anchor. The question is to what?

Highlight each footprint on the board in turn. Eventually one footprint will show pink identification wires from the Ref. to the cross.
You will then need to go into the footprint editor and relocate the anchor to its correct location on the footprint.

Another thought: right click on the cross and choose “select all” from the box. there should be a pink line going to something.

Well that’s just a little cross for you to bear. :wink:

1 Like

You might have a footprint that’s not created properly, where the origin/“center” of the footprint is very far from the actual component pins/outline.

My thoughts exactly

May even be way outside the worksheet.
Right mouse click on anything, then “select all” should show a nice pink line/s to the offending footprint.

1 Like

How about checking the pcb file in a text editor? If you can remove all board items and it’s still there, it should be relatively easy to find in the file.

right clicked, selected all, no line.

I would agree, but doing the “select all” as someone suggested, there is no line.

There is no such thing. If you are creating a footprint the sky is the limit.

Sorry, don’t understand this comment, please explain.

Sure, Johnathan said:

You might have a footprint that’s not created properly

And that was my reply.

There is no such thing as properly created footprint. I create my footprints the way I want.

Thanks @leoheck

I had interpreted @Jonathan_Haas 's comment as “you might have a corrupt footprint…”, or, in this case, “not created properly” meaning the anchor has been inadvertently placed a long way from the footprint.