What am I supposed to do when I get an email like this?

Milestone changed to 7.0 (Dec 26, 2021–Jan 25, 2023)

Reply to this email directly or view it on GitLab.
You’re receiving this email because of your account on gitlab.com. Unsubscribe from this thread · Manage all notifications · Help

Clicked the links but have no idea what I’m seeing there. Probably that’s why I early on gave up reporting eventual bugs on that place. Please explain this as I was a kid, I suggest no explanations about “python” etc…

If you’re getting an email about an issue, it’s because you’ve interacted with it in the past, probably because you’ve liked it, commented on it, or created it in the first place. You also may have ticked on the “notifications” option for the issue.

As for what to do with the email, are you interested in getting further email notifications about this issue?

If you want to keep getting notifications about that issue, absorb the information in the email and then do whatever you do with emails you don’t need anymore.

If you don’t want to be notified about changes to the issue anymore, click the “unsubscribe” link in the email.

If you don’t want to get any gitlab emails ever again, there’s a link for that, too.

Whatever you do, avoid replying to the email unless you have something meaningful to add, because that will add a publicly-viewable comment to the issue and notify everyone else who’s following that issue.

1 Like

Thanks gkeeth. This time I was happy to read the issue had been solved so I simply wanted to say thanks to Jeff Young. But now you say “Whatever you do, avoid replying to the email unless you have something meaningful to add” … so I better don’t say anything more in this and hope the issue has been solved, in silence.

Honestly, I don’t know whether developers appreciate the “thanks!” comment or would rather enjoy the silence of not having another email notification :slight_smile: I’m sure the gratitude is appreciated.

I was maybe too emphatic with that comment; my intention was just to emphasize that you should be aware that a lot of people may get a notification of your response, and your response is publicly viewable on the gitlab website.

There is no email notification for reactions like :+1: or :heart:, so that is also a way to express thanks without generating more emails.

3 Likes

Alas, you can’t react to “closed via commit xyz” activity items, so there’s no quiet way to react to those 15min record-time bug fixes. :partying_face:

Once again, this immediately got too complicated with “closed via commit xyz”… and so on. Make it simple!

With any eMail like this I would delete it then go to you gitlab account and see what’s going on.

I don’t think anything can be found like that. As was said, gitlab sends messages of updates to an issue if you have interacted with the issue in certain ways. Just checking the link carefully before clicking should be enough to prevent malicious scams. The links are pretty obvious:

• This issue
  • Gitlab main page
  • Unsubscribe from this thread, i.e. notifications for this issue
  • User profile where you can manage all notifications from gitlab
  • Gitlab help

Any more or less advanced issue tracking system is somewhat difficult for non-initiated.

Easy to say. The KiCad project can’t do anything to make it simple, and KiCad needs more than a “simple” issue tracker.

This is an automated message. The developers who fix a bug or add a feature which is in the wishlist should add a link to the relevant issue to the “commit message” when they commit the code to the git version control system repository. Gitlab can notice this and close the issue automatically.

Unfortunately issue trackers in general seem to be made “by engineers for engineers”. That’s understandable: the needs come from complicated software projects. For KiCad it’s more important to keep the issue tracker clean, powerful and easy to use for the developers than to get as many bug reports as possible. That’s just a necessity considering the health of the project.

Unfortunately the Gitlab bug tracker is also (and maybe mainly) for usage from the developers and they need such notificiations.

If you need clarification “Milestone changed to 7.0” means that it’s supposed to be fixed for 7.0 (which means it’s either already fixed and awaits a 7.0 release or it could mean that it’s seem as important enough so the developers hope to fix it in time for 7.0 release). And “closed via commit …” means that the issue has been fixed (for some future version, typically the one listed as milestone) by a developer with some code change (the commit is essentially a bunch of new/changed code).

Oki, thanks for the information – and good that they probably fixed this…

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.