Weirdness with SMD resistor footprints (New KiCAD user)

I’m finding this weird inconsistency when working through my first KiCAD project (with KiCAD 5 on Ubuntu Linux). I want 0603 SMD resistors. I get these strange footprints that have very thin pads (0.9mm by 0.5mm).

However, if I go to the footprint editor and try the “Import Footprint” toolbar button (the button with a footprint with a cyan arrow pointing to the left), and I browse to /usr/share/kicad/modules/Resistors_SMD.pretty, when I select the 603 resistor, I get a nice footprints with pads that are rounded rectangles.

Why do I get those weird “thin pad” footprints, and why can’t I assign the one from /usr/share/kicad/modules/Resistors_SMD.pretty?

I’ve tried:

• Right-click on the resistor (on the schematic), then Properties, then Edit Footprint… — I can only select Resistors_SMD:R_0603.

• Click on the “Assign PCB footprints to Schematic Symbols” toolbar button on the schematic editor. There too, I can only select Resistors_SMD:R_0603.

Under /usr/share/kicad/modules/Resistors_SMD.pretty, the item is called R_603_1608Metric.kicad_mod. I’m unable to find such item on any of the lists that I get following the steps above.

What am I missing or doing wrong?

Thanks,
Cal-linux

Check the library name more closely. One of them is a singular wheras the other uses plural. The plural one is a remnant of your earlier kicad version 4 installation: I had KiCad 4 installed previosly. Now i updated to v5. Now i have some problems with the library setup

Excellent! That worked (well, after a bit of struggle — maybe because I already had a project with a few components in it, maybe some “wrong paths” were embedded in it??)

Anyway, thanks for the quick response!

Cal-linux

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.