Warnings about missing rescue library

I am an occasional KiCad user. I have been working on a project off and on for years and have made new versions of my schematic by copying the file set, the latest about a year ago. Now I would like to cleanup my project and produce a pcb.

The project includes no rescue files.

The ERC shows no errors but a few warnings as,

Warning: The current configuration does not include the library ‘xxxx-rescue-xxx’

The referenced rescue libraries are from earlier versions and the warnings are related to standard parts like pots and ICs. These seem to be satisfied from some default library as there are no errors in the ERC report.

Is there some way to remove the dependency on rescue files short of deleting and adding those parts?

Ken

My version:
Application: KiCad

Version: (6.0.5-0), release build

Libraries:
wxWidgets 3.1.5
libcurl/7.64.1 SecureTransport (LibreSSL/2.8.3) zlib/1.2.11 nghttp2/1.39.2

Platform: macOS Catalina Version 10.15.7 (Build 19H1323), 64 bit, Little endian, wxMac

Build Info:
Date: May 3 2022 12:26:25
wxWidgets: 3.1.5 (wchar_t,wx containers)
Boost: 1.78.0
OCC: 7.6.2
Curl: 7.64.1
ngspice: 35
Compiler: Clang 12.0.0 with C++ ABI 1002

Build settings:
KICAD_USE_OCC=ON
KICAD_SPICE=ON

In the project directory there will be a file called sym-lib-table which lists the now non-existent library. You can rename this file, and if there are no ill-effects, remove it.

BTW you may wish to update to the last v6. This should have no downside.

1 Like

@retiredfeline, Thanks for your reply. There is no sym-lib-table but there is an fp_lib_table. An earlier project from March, 2022 has a sym_lib_table file so I assume there was a change in the name by KiCad since March, 2022.

In the current project, fp_lib_table contains

(fp_lib_table
(lib (name “vectgen_Library”)(type “KiCad”)(uri “${KIPRJMOD}/vectgen_Library.pretty”)(options “”)(descr “”))
)

which is correct and not related to a rescue library.

fp-lib-table is for footprints.

Check the global symbol library tablr for the ghost library. Either from manage symbol libraries or with a text editor on the global sym-lib-table.

Maybe I could explain this a little better.

The ERC gives this warning about a standard potentiometer part, RV2:

; Severity: warning
@(8250 mils, 1250 mils): Symbol RV2 [POT-vectgen_V2-rescue-vectgen_V2-rescue]
[lib_symbol_issues]: The current configuration does not include the library ‘vectgen_V2-rescue’.

The schematic contains this:

(symbol (lib_id “vectgen_V2-rescue:POT-vectgen_V2-rescue-vectgen_V2-rescue”) (at 209.55 31.75 0) (mirror x) (unit 1)
(in_bom yes) (on_board yes) …)

The project does everthing it should and creates the pcb and makes no further complaint.

It appears that KiCad has found a symbol to use in place of the one from the missing rescue library.

My question is what can I do to get rid of the warnings?

That is, short of editing and redefining the symbols that have warnings.

You’ll have to do some detective work yourself. Select the symbol in question and then e to view the properties. You’ll probably see that the symbol path is indeed vectgen_V2-rescue:POT-vectgen_V2-rescue-vectgen_V2-rescue, the colon separating the library ID from the symbol ID.

Now if you don’t have any library with the ID vectgen_V2-rescue whether local or global, it is probably that it’s using the symbol data in the schematic (v6 and above store symbols in the .kicad_sch file). The warning is saying that the schematic symbol isn’t backed up with a library symbol.

So you may indeed have to relink the symbol to the correct one in a library.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.