VRML Models don't show on 3D viewer

Hi everyone. So I downloaded a few vrml models from 3D Content Central and assigned them to different footprints. Problem is, these models aren’t rendered in KiCad’s 3D Viewer. The models in packages3d folder are however rendered. I even copied the downloaded files to one of the packages3d folder and it still doesn’t work. Am I going about this wrong by any chance? How should I use downloaded files? I’ll really appreciate any help.

The VRML models supplied by 3DContentCentral are VRML V1.0, which are not supported by Kicad. You could try downloading the STEP file, and converting using FreeCad. @maui might have some very useful scripts to help with that :slight_smile:

You also need to say what version of KiCad you are using, 3d support is constantly improving.

2 Likes

@bobc Thank you so much for your insight. @maui great work! I got everything working thanks to you two.

2 Likes

KiCad has supported some subset of VRML1 for some time now, though the stable release has very poor support. The dev branch with the 3D plugin system has a much better implementation.

1 Like

@cbernardo Thank you.