Voice Module WTV020 Eeschema

Hi,
i’m new to this PCB etc… But there are alot of good Tutorials.
I’m looking for a Symbol, for the Eeschema, the Voice Module WTV020 Sound module (WTV020-SD-16P).
But i don’t find it in the Library, can you help? When i got that Symbot, is it automaticly also provided to the Footprint? Sorry i’m new to this.

Thank you for info’s
Tru

There are millions of different schematic symbols and PCB footprints, and KiCad “only” has libraries for about 20.000 or so.

KiCad does have pretty good editors for creating both schematic symbols and PCB footprints.

The FAQ part of this website is a good starting point for text based tutorials on many aspects of KiCad. It has much more information than an “average faq”. It has some 80+ articles and tutorials that go quite in depth into the details of how KiCad works.

Some people like websites such as snapeda and samacsys. These (and other) websites have immensely big libraries with schematic symbols and footprints, but the output is usually generated from an internal database and some exporter script, and the quality of those exports may vary.

Even if you want to use such websites, I still believe that learning to work with KiCad’s own schematic symbol editor and footprint editor are essential skills. There will always be parts that are not in any library, or have to be adopted to special needs. The editors are quite simple to use. Their GUI’s are very similar to the rest of KiCad.

First Welcome, and don’t apologize for being a beginner. What’s most important is that your looking to learn.

In general the schematic symbol and the footprint are not connected in Kicad. The reason is a single device (aka symbol) can have multiple footprints. Often multiple surface mount footprints and usually one through hole footprint.
In addition there are surface mount footprints that have extended copper to make hand soldering easier.

Also there may be multiple symbols for a certain part. Some of the differences is the philosophy of the creator (the symbol creator that is :slight_smile: ).
Some make a rectangle and place the pins in numerical order. I personally prefer to place the pins in such a way they infer signal flow. Either one is correct and either one can be coupled to any footprint.

In the schematic editor there is an icon to open the assign foot print editor. This is where you will join a symbol with a footprint.

Note: There are a number of CAD libraries that you can download the symbols, footprints and sometimes 3D models.

Many thanks for your nice welcome Paulvdh and JohnRob, thats so kind of you.
And help me to understand the function of KiCad.

Regards, tru

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.