During this weekend, I did a lot of research and testing according to the information that was given to me.
I will provide an answer to each point raised, in bold letters.
The “invisible traces” of the old kicad installation are in your design files. The footprints from your old installation are embedded in your PCB file, and they still point to the old 3dmodels that no longer exist on your computer. OK, but it wasn’t easy at first time, because an update should logically put everything back in working order.
*Does this point make sense to you? If not, nothing I write below will make sense.*Yes, of course.
I think that if you make a new project, and add new footprints to it, the 3d models will show up just fine.No, sorry, it’s exactly the same problem with à new project.
I see several options to fix this, none of which are easy. Maybe others have advice as well. Make sure you back up your project before doing anything!. Yes, yes, it has been done for a long time.
Exchange each footprint in your design with the the equivalent footprint from the updated library. The newer footprints will point to the right 3d models. This is probably the most correct and robust option, but it has the risk that the new footprints could be slightly different than the ones you used originally, so you may have to make some adjustments to your layout. Back up your project first!! I tried to do this exchange of printsfoots, but I don’t have the ones you indicate, they don’t exist in my library! it is clear that I do not have the right libraries>
To do this, first identify the equivalent footprint in the new library. To use the example above, for the footprint
Connectors_Molex:Molex_KK-6410-04_04x2.54mm_Straight.kicad_mod in your current design, you are going to want to switch it to
Connector_Molex:Molex_KK-254_AE-6410-04A_1x04_P2.54mm_Vertical.kicad_mod. Right click on one of those footprints, click “Change Footprint…”, Select “Change footprints with identifier”, and input the new footprint identifier. This will fix all footprints of that type. You’ll have to do it once per type of footprint on your board.**Once again, the reference "****
Molex_KK-254_AE-6410-04A_1x04_P2.54mm_Vertical.kicad_mod "**you indicate does not exist with me!
Edit every footprint in your board so that the 3d model path points to a model that exists. You will have to figure out which “new” models are equivalent to the “old” models. This is slow and painful, but only affects the 3d models, not your layout, which could be an advantage. You will have to do this for every footprint on the board.**>
Forget about the 3d models for this project. As I said above, I think when you start a new project everything will just work, because you will be using the up-to-date footprints which point to valid models. If it’s not important to have 3d models for this project, then it may not be worth the effort to fix.
Thank you for your screenshots, but I can do it all without any problem. the problem is that I don’t have the right libraries !
And I don’t understand why the new ones (those of version 5.1.9) refuse to install.
Then, I want to forget, but I still remember a time when it worked perfectly.
For example, I find it hard to admit that a simple update can disrupt the operation of software to such an extent.
I remain convinced that there must be some flaws in the design because the least thing would be to inform the user that they may lose data while updating.
Otherwise, I would never have done it!
But it is also true that the software being “Open Source”, we cannot ask for the moon for free!
I also did an installation on a USB key (very long) and there too, no 3D.
Finally, I did the installation from the same file downloaded from 5.1.9 on my wife’s PC (win10), and there I have well the 3D.
So what to conclude ?
There are still things on my computer that are preventing new libraries from updating and I should be able to destroy them.
In conclusion, I don’t want to waste your time or mine.
3D is not essential, it’s a shame, that’s all!
Thank you for your patience.
GREAT AND GOOD NEWS it’s finally working!
I once again uninstalled 5.1.9. then searched for all possible Kicad links on my computer (search string search function).
This search led me to a number of “traces” of various files in the “Roaming” directory for example.
I erased manually as much as possible these traces, some being however impossible to destroy (the explorer indicated that the files did not exist any more).
Then I reinstalled 5.1.9 and this time, I checked the “environment variables” box while monitoring the scrolling of the 3D models during the installation process, which lengthened the duration of the operation.
Finally, visualization was obtained after replacing all the footprints one by one as shown. Great !
I explain what I did, it may be useful for others!