Visualisation 3D

Hello,

Thanks for these informations.

I searched for the KISYS3DMOD directory, but it is missing from my computer.

Which is to say that the version 5.1.9 that I reinstalled does not contain this installation folder?

In this case, I would have to reinstall an older version that does contain this directory, but which one?

Also, I tried the 3D footprint editor, but again, no component is visible, only the PCB trace.

Thank you for the answer.

JM

Start PCBnew.

Preferences | Add 3D shapes libraries wizard

Enter this into the URL field: https://github.com/KiCad/kicad-packages3d

@Jmg54 : KISYS3DMOD isn’t a directory. It’s a kicad internal variable pointing to the directory containing the 3D packages.

First you must find the directory where the shapes are, note it. Second, open a project, go to the “preferences” menu entry, then “configure paths”. A list of all the kicad internal variables is displayed. Take a screen copy for further reference and save it. Third, make sure that the variable is pointing to the directory you found. if KISYS3DMOD isn’t listed, click on the “+” to add the path you found. Click on OK.

Now you can open your project, normally the 3D models should be there.

in addition, should you have a custom 3D models directory, you can add a custom variable with its path to the current list.

PS. in Windows, the 3D shapes directory should be in …\Kicad\share\kicad\modules\packages3d.

Hello,

Thanks for this answer.

I have all tested :

• the paths are OK (but in grey color)

• the directory for the 3D shapes contains all the elements,

• The soft v.5.1.9 has been installed (after desinstalling the old version)

and never 3D view…

I am very disapointed !

Thanks

Good evening and thank you for this information.

All paths are OK, all directories and libraries are in their place, pointers are alike, but unfortunately I still don’t have a 3D view.

I can only visualize the PCB plate in 3D with the screen-printed imprints, but still not the components which have their 3D files well in the directory provided.

It is not very serious, but rather inexplicable.

I uninstalled, cleaned the computer and reinstalled but nothing can be done!

I don’t understand anything anymore because I had all that before.

Thank you.

Hi @Jmg54, Sorry, I didn’t notice your previous message.

Some more clues:
In the 3D View, make sure the visibility boxes are checked:

Then, in the footprint properties, Make sure that the fabrication attributes are set to Through hole and not to Virtual:

the 3D Settings tab should show like this:

Is the part showing on the window ? Are the other parameters correct (especially the scales and the offsets) ? Note that the “Preview” box (up right corner) is related only to the picture, not to the 3D View window. Under the Windows’ File Explorer, navigating to the 3D model’s path (retyping the contents of your Kisysmod variable, do you find your model ? (In my case, I have an additional variable (USER_3DMOD_DIR) I created to point to my own model production).

Since you already checked the internal variables, their paths and your library locations and if this doesn’t work, I don’t see what would happen.

@Rene_Poschl is of a great help. He probably would recommend to read his FAQs: Library management in KiCad version 5 and Where are the configuration files (settings, library tables)?
It might be a question of Library Tables. I’m not skilled at all in this matter. My last recommendation would be to ask Rene.
Anyway, please, keep us informed of your troubleshooting results. Good luck

Thank you for this valuable information.

By carefully examining the 3 screenshots you sent me, I can already say that on the first two, everything is identical with me (except for the language of course).

Excepted that the Footprint properties as 3 lines and not like you.

On the third, the only difference concerns the path of the 3D images.

But since you have created your own models, it makes sense.

I have attached a screenshot of my own 3D view window.

To conclude, I’m like you, I don’t understand why the 3D view is only possible with the small piece of PCB that contains the footprint.

Thanfs for all, but it’s a mystery…

JMG

What is KISYS3DMOD actually set to?

Go to Preferences --> Configure paths …
Screenshot 2021-04-28 at 15.18.16

And check that KISYS3DMOD is set to where your 3d models have been installed.
Screenshot 2021-04-28 at 15.18.35

• All the symptoms are converging toward a broken path. It may be wrongly configured or absent.
    Please, post a copy of the variable page.

• In a kicad.pro window, preferences, how are the directory separators labeled " / " or " \ " ?
    Normally it’s " \ " although in the “propriétés de l’empreinte” it’s " / "

only for information, my configuration is not a standard one.

• If you copy the content of the kisys3dmod variable, appended by the 3Dmodel relative path in the search bar of the Windows explorer, do you end with your 3Dmodel ?

• Open the 3D setting page of a part in PCBnew, click on the folder icon at the right of the “+” icon, navigate to your footprint, add it. You may have to uncheck the first 3D model to see the added one.
    Here the switch model has arbitrarily been replaced by a trimmer:

to remove it, select it then click on the basket. Don’t forget to discard the file when closing PCBnew !

• Back to your reply:

[quote=“Jmg54, post:13, topic:28889”]
To conclude, I’m like you, I don’t understand why the 3D view is only possible with the small piece of PCB that contains the footprint.
[/quote] Do you mean that you can see your model in this window ? If so, that would contradict the annexed picture ?

• Does it work with .stp models instead of .wrl ones ? Please check.

On April 21th you wrote:

May you take a picture and post it ?
TIA

You are faster than lightning!

Thank you for your prompt response.

First response to your proposal to copy the content of the Kisys3dmod variable into the explorer: I point to the directory which contains the 3dshapes directories. If this is the kind of folder it is, then I imagine the path is OK.

I am sending you a screenshot of the paths.

Tonight I will do what you suggest “Open the 3D settings …”

Thanks again !

Variables d'environnement.jpg

Good evening again,

I had a few minutes, so I did the manipulation you suggest.

I got the print once again on my own.

I also checked and unchecked the two models alternately, nothing new is obtained.

I have attached a new screenshot to you.

Have a nice evening.

Thank you for this response.

I have already done all of this, but no improvement.

Sorry.

The path you have added here is to a footprint (.kicad_mod), not to a 3dmodel (.wrl or .step or .stp)

On my system, the path you’re looking for is: C:\Program Files\KiCad\share\kicad\modules\packages3d\Connector_Molex.3dshapes\<model filename here>

I don’t see a model with the filename you specify. I think you might be looking for Molex_KK-254_AE-6410-04A_1x04_P2.54mm_Vertical.wrl

Try this path: C:\Program Files\KiCad\share\kicad\modules\packages3d\Connector_Molex.3dshapes\Molex_KK-254_AE-6410-04A_1x04_P2.54mm_Vertical.wrl

edit: I do not have a footprint by that name, either. What version of the libraries do you have installed?

You can also try this path: C:\Program Files\KiCad\share\kicad\modules\packages3d\Connector_Molex.3dshapes\Molex_KK-6410-04_04x2.54mm_Straight.wrl

It is possible that there is no model for this footprint. Again, I do not have a footprint by that name in my libraries. You will need to check the directory I listed above to see if there is a file by that name.

Thanks for that info.

If the path is not the right one, it is inexplicable because I have never changed anything manually, this configuration is the result of the automatic installation of the latest version of Kicad (5.1.9).

When in doubt, I had reinstalled an older version, but the result was exactly the same.

I will try what you explain and keep you informed.

Thank you for these tips.

Please confirm that it contain .wrl and .stp files.

Your variable paths look OK, did you ckeck their contents to make sure that they contain the right files ? Windows is sometimes strangely behaving, I have two program files directories, one is labelled with (x86) at the end, the other not !

As said by @gkeeth you have added a path pointing to a footprint.
Navigate to a 3D model instead and add it.
I also confirm that as part of my libraries, I don’t have the 3D models you’re talking about, instead I have the same ones as @gkeeth.

Normally, the 3D models are in …\kicad\share\kicad\modules\package3d
I doubt that the 3Dmodel installation path is protected by Windows but just in case, you might try the following:
Copy some of them (stp and wrl) to a temporary directory.
Navigate to it from the “propriétés de l’empreinte”, try to add them to the flist. Are they showing ?

Back to the grey paths, did you investigate this way ? That seems peculiar for me.

1. The path substitutions (and other settings) are stored in the KiCad preferences. These are not reset when you reinstall Kicad so reinstalling will not help you.

2. Not every footprint has a model. There are good reasons for this arrangement (it makes it easier for devs to add a model without having to update the footprint too). Make life easier by testing with a known good model - a 0805 SMD resistor would be a good choice.

3. Are you absolutely sure that the KISYS3DMOD is correct. I would have thought that it should be C:\Program Files\KiCad\share\kicad\packages3d (You seem to have it in kicad\ modules \packages3d and you also have an unnecessary trailing ’ \’.

For what it’s worth, on my Windows 5.1 install, I have share\kicad\modules\packages3d\, so I think it’s correct.

But I agree with you, it’s weird that it’s inside the modules directory; that’s not the case on Linux.

If I remember correctly, you will grayed out paths if you declared the paths as environment variables (it is even one of the steps in the setup but it is not recommended, because it makes it more “difficult” to change)

You can verify this in Windows in the Control Panel -> System -> Advanced system -> Extended -> Environment variables (sorry, my OS is in German, but you should be able to find the panel)

If you have the different KICAD variables defined there you could delete them and defined inside of kicad to make them easier to edit.

In the screen shot you have a path to a “.wrl” file, that is a 3D Model that may or may not exists (KiCAD footprints define the path to the 3d model even if it still doen’t exists, not all footprints have 3d models yet), however, the path that you selected, is to a “.kicad_mod” file, that is a footprint file and not a 3D model, therefore it doesn’t show anything.

Petra and gkeeth have already pointed this out and gave you a hint on how the correct path should look like.

Hello,

Yes, the extensions of the folder grouped two by two in the 3Dshapes folder are indeed “* .wrl” and “*.stp”

For exemple, the folder “package3d” contains a lot of folders. The first of them is “Battery3d.shapes” which contains “Battery_CR1225.step” and “Battery_CR1225.wrl”.

I guess these files are in good condition, but I cannot verify this since I am not getting a 3D image.
For this example, they weight 10Kb and 48Kb respectively.
Are we making progress?

Thanks