Via too close to solder pad

This via is a perfect candidate for the solder to wicking down into the hole (Unfortunately this has happened to me).

I don’t see any DRC errors coming out. Is there any control (other than visual inspection) to prevent this issue? This is not about the in-pad-via concept.

Use physical_hole_clearance or physical_clearance in Board Settings → Custom Rules.

Examples:

(rule holeclearance
(condition "A.Via_Type == 'Through' && B.Pad_Type == 'SMD'")
(constraint physical_hole_clearance (min 0.5mm)))

(rule ringclearance
(condition "A.Via_Type == 'Through' && B.Pad_Type == 'SMD' && A.Net == B.Net")
(constraint physical_clearance (min 0.5mm)))

At the moment it looks like this is not forced while routing (v. 8.0.0-RC1), it only finds errors when running DRC. I remember at least one of these would have been on-the-fly check, but I may be wrong.

3 Likes

Great! it’s what I needed. I also didn’t know about the custom rules. I find it very useful.
Thank you!

I would suggest this should be something the user should consciously not do during placement.
That is to say- the user should know not to do this. The user places vias and is responsible for where they go.
The tool should not have to police the user in real time for these type of mistakes .
It only needs to be in batch run DRC if at all
If there are too many rules turned on in ‘online DRC’ mode, the tool will get bogged down.
Items like trace width, clearance for 1000 different signals, the tool should do that, the human can’t remember everything.
Certainly, have it as a rule during batch DRC if you need to check someone else’s work.

1 Like

Vias can be pushed by the P’n’S router out of sight, so being conscious doesn’t always help and the batch check is important.

OK, so we need an option in the tool to control that-
"Permit VIAS to be pushed " (or not)
or do we have this ? Is that what Interactive Router Options - SHOVE - Shove vias controls ?

KiCad-Nightly V8.0.0~rc3 has an option to exculde via’s from shoving in PCB Editor / Route / Interactive Router Settings:

Apart from that, there is also an option to lock items (Including, but not limited to Via’s). When items are locked, they do not get moved. You can also use the Selection Filter in the lower right corner to exclude locked items, and when this is off, then locked items can not even get selected.

2 Likes