Via properties not working!

I am really having a bad day today folks! Via properties is not working for me anymore. Normally when I select a via (any via) and press E or select the Properties option I get a dialogue window to open which allows me to edit the via properties: Net, whether through or blind/buried, layer pairs, etc. But that is not working anymore. No dialogue box opens when I press E or selection Properties. How can that be! E works for everything else, just not for vias.

Look in your preferences. I imagine that you have the setting for “edit changes track width” enabled.

Never seen that one before :slight_smile: It behaves almost like described above. But how come “E works for everything else”? It should change the behavior for tracks, too.

Anyways, it prevents using RMB->Preferences, and I would consider that as a bug.

Indeed “Edit action changes track width” was set. That is not a behavior I expected. Why should ticking that option also disable ability to edit vias?. Clearing it has restored ability to edit vias again (and my sanity):smiley: Thanks.

Vias are considered part of tracks internally, so that assumption leaked into the UI. The behavior was kept in version 5 to facilitate migration from the legacy toolset to our modern toolset. Moving this behavior to a separate action/hotkey is planned.

2 Likes

At this moment, the only time I have to hit “e” on a trace is when working with a trace and that Net is not assigned a trace width.

Why doesn’t KiCad change the trace width to the same width of the Net it is extending?

When routing, you can right-click to find the menu option for changing starting trace width. This is in the modern toolset only.

1 Like

Good idea.

As would everyone who has used other EECADs before, I have a long list of wishes I’d like to see in Kicad. I think there is somewhere we can post our wishes for consideration. Can someone remind me please. I’ve kept my wishes to myself so far until I have used Kicad long enough to get used to its feature set and its possible different ways of doing the same thing others do. Kicad is simply great but we want to make it even better. Well done to all the developers and the contributing community.

This mode is available in kicad as @Seth_h already mentioned. While in route mode select “use starting track width” instead of “by net class” and you should be ok. (this setting is kept at least until you close kicad, possibly longer)

In this mode kicad chooses the same track with if you start from a track or the net class defined one if starting form a pad.

You can write your wishes by reporting a bug. Bugs are qualified regarding their importance and ‘WISHLIST’ is one of such qualifications.

Why is this only in the “right-click” menu?

I don’t see these upgrades as I very seldom use the Right-Click drop down menu options; use the Left-Handed HotKey method instead.

Other refinements may be in order as I notice that when “Edit action changes track width” is set it disables the Edit function and does what it says on the tin i.e. “changes track width”. However when I selected more than one trace (Shift click) and press “e”, I expected all the selected traces would be changed. They weren’t, it opened the Edit dialogue box instead.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.