Very first KiCad project, please check my Gerbers

I’ve tinkered about as much with it as my motivation allowed me for today.

• I cleaned up the schematic a bit (no overlapping texts). Drag a box a round things to move, and then press Tab to enable the rubber band drag mode.
  • With: **Update PCB form schemtic, I kept the “single pad nets”, as creating and deleted those adds crud to the info window.
  • Moved the resistors and capacitors around a bit. I did not move any of the connectors.
  • Did my best to make a solid GND plane. In the lower right corner some parts of GND are on the top layer.
  • Added a 100nF capacitor. Now both the LCD connector and the ADS1115 have a separate 100nF capacitor.
  • Changed the netclass clearance from 0.13mm to 0.22mm and also fattened the tracks to 0.3mm and enlarged the via’s a bit.
    I reduced the clearance in the Zone properties a bit, so the GND plane can sneak in between the the THT pins: image For hand soldering, i would rather use the “Longpads” versions. These are specifically made for hand soldering and also have more room between the pads for the GND to sneak through (Or did I make a few of those myself long ago? Can’t remember).
    *Cleaned up Silk screen a bit.
  • Added some logo’s.
  • Added revision string with the date on the PCB.
  • Added TP1, A test point for GND. Always handy to have something to connect your scope to. I usually use two holes so a wire loop can be added. It can also be useful to put more label text near the connector pins, but the PCB is getting a bit crowded.

Front:

Backside with GND plane:

I made a copy of the PCB folder and deleted most unnecessary files. You can tell GIT to not keep track of backup copies of files.
There also is a 670KiB “Drok_Juntek_on_Steroids.kicad_pcb” which I deleted. The PCB itself is the 304KiB “JuntekOnSteroidsTTGO.kicad_pcb”.

Now it fits in a 75KiB Zip file. I’m not in the mood to go struggling with GIT, so here it is:
KICAD_Dron_Juntek_2021-08-27.zip (76.7 KB)

Oops (again)
I still have not looked at your Gerbers. I did not even generate them from this revision. I did notice there is a lot of silk screen outside of Edge.Cuts. Some manufacturers complain about this, and this can lead to delays in manufacturing. Ideally you should remove those graphics from the silkscreen.

1 Like

…and finally with the advice of eelik regarding C7:

Now it really gets professional!
:star_struck:

Thank you to all of us for this gorgeous crash course in KiCAD.
I could block the shipping of my first order and add this new version.

All files of the improved version are here:

2 Likes

Finally the very first uncorrected version, that I ordered two weeks ago arrived and the result isn’t that bad.

Photographed with the TTGO unplugged.
The wires at the left are intentional, it’s my patch field to adapt to several different motherboards.
It worked OOB.

2 Likes

Looks nice.
This is one of the projects I’ve bookmarked as interesting enough to look deeper into at some point.

Also,
Can you recall that I made some extra test points for GND?

The reason for this was to have a GND connection for your scope so you do not have to bend pins to attach a crocodile clamp :slight_smile:

Can you recall that I made some extra test points for GND?

Yes! Its a very good habit that I have on all my projects as well.
I hate PCBs where you haven’t got any chance to attach a GND clamp.

This was my very first attempt before all your recommendations.
The very right pin was always intended to be bent as a GND point.
The extension connector goes on the remaining 20 pins.

Here on duty with an attached rotary encoder:

By the way:

Your I2C lines do not have pullup resistors.

The I2C resistors (10K) are integrated in the TTGO module.

Your row of capacitors may also look nice, but they’re quite vulnerable at the edge of the PCB.

In fact I have soldered them on the backside of the PCB, this gives an access to the ADC voltages from the top which is pretty convenient. Ok, you have them on the TTGO as well, but very densely placed. On the capacitors you can attach the probe ways easier.
:grinning:

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.