Version 8 release candidate 2 available

Release candidate two of the upcoming stable release of version 8.0.0 is available for testing. 8.0.0 will be released soon unless critical issues are found in testing this release candidate.

You can obtain the release candidate for your platform here:

4 Likes

Fedora kicad-testing COPR has been failing since 9 days ago, including today, but the nightly build that gives approximately the release candidate (plus a few bugfixes and a lot of updated translations) compared to the RC2 tag, is working so far.

Perhaps @SteveFalco knows more about the kicad-testing COPR?

I’ll take a look. The error messages suggest that Copr cannot download the sources.

1 Like

Is there a right place to be looking at a detailed changelog between RC1 and RC2? I just hit a bug with importing dxfs generated by Fusion 360 into an RC1 pcb layout and want to make sure it’s not a known issue before I report it.

(In short, importing a DXF initially shows the drawing, but upon save or click, it vanishes. The saved .kicad_pdf has a long list of imported content entitites:

(group "imported layout"
                (uuid "19f26e31-2330-451e-a39e-a49d0319466d")
                (members "00102f4f-5417-4098-b6de-fd7ed348c09b" "0013eeab-5e0f-4610-b94f-04123c26b177"

but those entities themselves aren’t saved into the file.

A build is now running and should finish in a few hours.

Please note that the testing repo will remain on the 7.0 branch to support an expected 7.0.11 release (in the near future).

Once there is an official 8.0.0 release, I’ll move the testing repo to the 8.0 branch.

At this time, please continue to use the nightly repo for the 8.0 RC builds.

It is only in the Git log, which you can view on the web here: https://gitlab.com/kicad/code/kicad/-/commits/master?ref_type=heads

RC1 was tagged on Jan 12 so you don’t have to go back that far in time. The translation commits can be ignored. That said: I would report your bug, it doesn’t sound familiar / like one I’ve seen fixed recently

I should clarify that my above comments only pertain to Fedora repositories. Other operating systems may handle their release candidates differently.

But since there is no 8.0 branch yet, it is too soon for me to move the Fedora testing repo, and it has to remain on the 7.0 branch.

@craftyjon - Having just pulled RC2 and tested, it did resolve the issue for me. If you still want me to report it, I’m happy to.

If the git log is the right place to be looking for the changelog, it appears that this link is what folks would want:

https://gitlab.com/kicad/code/kicad/-/compare/8.0.0-rc1...8.0.0-rc2?from_project_id=15502567&straight=false

I’m not super familiar with the codebase, but DXF import: INSERT angles are in degrees. (767ab72c) · Commits · KiCad / KiCad Source Code / kicad · GitLab looks like it might have fixed an issue that could have resulted in bad imports of DXFs.

Great!

The compare link has a limit for how many changes it will show, and there are too many commits since RC1 for that view to show all of them. But it does show many of them!

1 Like