Version 6 release plan?

Feature freezes are intended to stop this 1 step forwards 3 back problem. Changes now are to fix bugs only, so new bugs should be less than those fixed

Thanks guys, very good information here from you (I’m an old Eagle user/cirka 13 years) Let’s hope we soon will see a KiCad 6 release, before some other company has to buy it…

The v6 feature freeze was not really a true freeze. A few features were nearly ready and deemed quite important, so it was decided to allow them to be merged after the freeze.

Disclaimer: while i have a KiCad tag on my profile, i am not part of the source code development team so m insight into this is limited (I am part fo the library team – or at least had been as my current availability is sadly limited)

To borrow a meme from the Prusa community: It will be released on Friday. We just don’t know which Friday yet…

2 Likes

Yeah, may be a Friday numbered 13 :slight_smile:

Now is a great time to test the nightly builds, as we are fairly close (in terms of remaining work, hard to say exactly in terms of time) to a 6.0 release candidate. Putting aside the Python API which is still a work in progress, there are actually very few remaining issues that are both reproducible and high-priority. Additional testers would be greatly appreciated to make sure there aren’t issues we have missed that should get fixed before 6.0 is released.

7 Likes

Thanks for this interesting info, craftyjon, though I’ve been avoiding updating the nightly builds since some time back since at some stage of these nightly builds updates the “Interactive HTML BOM” stopped working so I though it may be better waiting until things might be sorted out. Hopefully this doesn’t take all to long though – good luck with the programming, it will be very interesting to see what KiCad 6.x will become!

error

@TheSwede that’s not up to Kicad devs, it’s up to plugin author, in this case me to fix. And I have, a while ago, you should update your plugin to latest from github master.

5 Likes

My apologies, I didn’t know that, thanks for the info! I’m an old lazy Eagle user and still not used of “github” and “python”. You have made a good plugin, great looking and useful work, I will try to find the update at “github”.

Here is direct download link that always points to latest version
https://github.com/openscopeproject/InteractiveHtmlBom/archive/refs/heads/master.zip

1 Like

Thanks for the link. Just tested the updated “Interactive HTML BOM” which works like a charm in Kicad “Version: (5.99.0-9501-gb8a96dbfc5)” Now let’s also test an updated nightly build of KiCad which now might be “kicad-unified-20210629-010700-6c67dfa032”.

Another thing, may be in the wrong thread but here it comes anyway. The same file/with the same “Path” for components/3dFiles behaves all different dependent on which OS is used. It does not help to “reconfigure” the 3d Models path either. It will remain missing. What’s going on there? It’s only OSX Mojave and OSX Catalina showed here, in the Windows version of KiCad other parts will be missing, even directing to the same 3d Models path. Scary.

Hello,

I have seen this when transferring projects from win10 to Linux (both with KiCad 5.10).
I used the .ZIP archieve to transfer the project.

The 3D Model of a relay vanished though it is part of the standard KiCad libraries. I added it again using the same model with same name.

All others were OK. Even a .STP heatsink I had taken from the internet was still present.

Thanks chris9, I think i understand what you describe but mine “3d-parts” are all pointed/directed to the same “path” (hard drive) no matter what OS i run it from, but it ends up with totally different results (different parts missing) depending if it’s on Windows 10 (via parallels desktop) or if it’s OSX Mojave. The only OS now not messing this up seems to be OSX Catalina, this all seems not logical to me.

It isn’t. OS has nothing to do with this, your settings and paths are different, that’s it.
To debug it take one single footprint that doesn’t show up even though you have the file, look at it’s 3d model path as is in pcbnew (not library editor), check for any path variables, expand them manually using text editor and you will see a mismatch somewhere.

Tried to fix it with the paths etc. Didn’t manage to get it to work. So to save time I removed every trace of Kicad (Uninstalled in Mojave and deleted all files in Preferences/Application support etc) and reinstalled the latest KiCad nightly build and set up all the path(s) again. I also did the same in Catalina and finally also in Windows (edit below). Now the project works well in 2 out of 3 environments (here).

1 Like

@TheSwede

May I suggest you change the title of your post?

Now it is easy to interpret as a statement for the release of KiCad V6.
It would be more appropriate to formulate the title as a question.

I changed it. ---------------

Thank you very much.
I just noticed a pencil mark behind the title. Apparently I also have the rights to change titles of posts :slight_smile:

Well, it didn’t really work well from Windows even with the reinstall (via Parallels Desktop) but it doesn’t matter so much to me as I will never use it probably this way anyhow (in windows). I have the “path” from all versions (Windows/Catalina/Mojave) to the same external USB drive, to make it more possible to work from wherever I might go (from whatever hardware/machine/software). That will continue to be the goal. It has to work “right out of the box” no matter what.