VCC symbol in schematic

I’m following a guide written by ai03 on creating a mechanical keyboard, and I’ve got to a part where it says this:
“Connect VBUS → Polyfuse, then Polyfuse → +5V. Drop a VCC symbol pre-fuse. Change fuse value to 500mA.”

I can add the Polyfuse. The issue is that when I add a VCC symbol it looks nothing like the one in the guide. ai03’s image is of a empty circle connected to the wire before the fuse. Yet, when I add it I get an arrow facing to the right.

Is it just a change in symbols or do I need to add something different?

Here’s a link to the section if you’re not familiar with the guide

https://wiki.ai03.com/link/25#bkmrk-connect-vbus--%3E-poly 

This is a cut & paste from that other website:

And when I draw this in KiCad I get:

I think the VCC symbol with the bubble is from a previous KiCad version, and the looks have been changed for some uniformity, but this does not change anything about the function. It’s just some graphic lines. The real function is in the way the pin is defined in the symbol, and you do not have to concern yourself with that as long as you do not modify the power symbols.

Also, power symbols have gotten an overhaul in KiCad, and in the next version (Now KiCad-nightly V7.99), the name is an editable text string, which identifies the power net, so there will be no separate power symbols for each possible voltage.

1 Like

Yes:

We will be using KiCad for making the PCB.

Download version 5.1.4 from the previous releases folder.

The current up to date supported version is 7.0.7, so the guide may be difficult to follow at times if you use the latest KiCad. And we certainly can’t recommend v5.

I think it is better to read KiCad documentation pdf-s starting from ‘Getting started’ then to follow some old guides.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.