V6 workflow for creating pads from vector graphics

Hi!

I did find a few threads on this topic, but none of them were specific to v6, and I think a few things changed. …I think I have done this before in v5, but i don’t really remember how…

What’s the best workflow for creating (SMD) pads from imported vector graphics?
I would like to avoid using freeCAD for this.

I can import a svg or dxf, put the same shape on the mask and copper layer and just put them on top of an smd pad…but it feels like there must be a better way to do this ( and this might confuse the rule check…)

Thank You!

but it feels like there must be a better way to do this

I think you are already 90% right. my complete workflow (only used for real difficult shapes):

• create pad-shape as dxf (used software: QCAD). Only use lines+arcs+ellipses for drawing. Be sure to draw a completely closed shape. Check for unwanted zero-length-linesegments. Be sure to draw only one outline, not two concentric lines.
  • in kicad footprint editor: prepare the “special pad” with an already named smd-pad with correct pad-number
  • import dxf-file, ungroup imported shape, select all imported lines and “Create Polygon From Selection”.
  • delete the original imported shape, leaving the polygon alone
  • change polygon-layer to F.copper, set filled-checkbox
  • select prepared Pad, RMB-click–>context-menu–>Edit Pad as graphic shapes
  • the FP-editor changes into a special “pad editing mode”. See the yellow info-warning-message at top of screen.
  • move the imported polygon on top of the Pad.
  • end the special “pad editing mode” with another right-click–>context-menu–>“finish Pad editing mode”. The original pad and the shape on top of that are combined into one irregular shaped Pad.
  • The irregular shaped Pad is respected with DRC-rule-checker.
4 Likes

Thank You!
This worked great.

I found out that some steps can be omitted if you import the graphics as a SVG because then shapes that have 0.0mm (‘hairline’) width will already be filled in KiCAD.
This is how i do it:

set line width to 0.0 in Inkscape → Import yourfile.svg in kicad → place small SMD pad on top of graphics → right click-‘Edit Pad as Graphic Shapes’ → exit pad editing mode

In my case this made sense because I was using Inkscape an an intermediary step anyways…so depending on your export options this might or might not save some time.

EDIT:
Using the SVG import it seems like i can throw anything at it, bezier-curves, vectorized text etc.
internal holes will be ignored. I can even import multiple shapes in one file and and then add the pads.

weirdpads

IIRC this has been fixed in the development version.

EDIT: SVG import does not process holes in polygons correctly (#6739) · Issues · KiCad / KiCad Source Code / kicad · GitLab, and it looks like it should be fixed also in the latest 6.0.x. Do you have the latest one?

1 Like

nice! -I wasn’t sure if this was intentional…but internal holes might be usefull for niche applications like capacative touch pads, weird mems microphone footprints or just for graphics-stuff…

no, I tested this on 6.0.2 - will upgrade to 6.0.4 ASAP!

I tested it in 6.0.4 and can confirm that internal holes work just fine now :partying_face:.

SVG features like linecaps and dashed lines don’t work, but this is expected as those are features that as far as i know lines in KiCand can’t have. …but that’s fine because one can just convert them into filled shapes before import.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.