V6 > V7 a forced upgrade?

Hello all
Since V7 is out I get a popup when I hit the start icon that asks if I want to upgrade with or without my V6 settings - no option not to upgrade at all.
From past experience (upgrade v5 to v6) as well as from various threads here any upgrade seems to be a critical adventure that bears the risk of data loss or, at least, can stop productivity for some time. So I want to finish open projects before upgrading.

Sure there are ways to start v6 disregarding the forced upgrade command but not really comfortable.
Can somebody help me how to remove that popup… and that is for a Manjaro Linux system.

KiCad is not forcing you to update - your distribution (Manjaro in this case) has already updated you to v7. KiCad does not have any auto-update capabilities built into it. You need to talk to your distribution packagers to find out how to get a v6 version.

Just to clarify the popup: that dialog is what happens when you already have V7, and it’s asking you whether you want to upgrade your settings from the previous version. It’s not asking if you want to upgrade KiCad itself, since that has already happened.

1 Like

Thanks to both of you for coming back so fast. You were right, its 7.0.1 on my system now and I don’t like to see that happen without my permission. From my point of view this is a very serious security issue and it does not matter wether it is kicad or any other package causing it. Kicad just opened my eyes which is the positive part of it. It’s time to tighten my Linux settings…

Thanks again

This is probably not a security issue. Most likely you are set for automatic updates. This is usually good for security in general since it minimizes the time from release until a security update is applied. I don’t know about your system specifically but you can normally choose to automatically apply security updates and review others before updating.

1 Like

Good point. However I do not want any updates to come in without my permission including security stuff.
You never know where such things are coming from. So its always better to have a look at the sender and maybe the context and then give the “go ahead”.

The repositories are generally signed. But, this is probably configurable. I was a Manjaro user before it was ever released. :wink: IE. I was a Mandrake/Mandriva user. I was on the Majaro mailing list but couldn’t wait for them to make a release so I moved on to Debian. They were competent people that had just lost their jobs.

I

If you really feel that way then perhaps you should reconsider whether you should be using a rolling release distro. Or at least start reading the output from pacman before updating

I don’t know about Manjaro but on my distro, it always asks for confirmation before applying updates. I can also manually check and approve. This has always been my policy on the machines I maintained. Maybe there’s a setting you can change in Manjaro. If you can’t then you are an unpaid tester.

1 Like

This problem made me to look into manjaros update strategy. Its controlled by a white list of SW cleared for automatic updates. Default: all ON. I set kicad to OFF and after it had shown a busy sign for a while the popup is gone and 7.0.1 is started when clicking the icon.

It seems to use my v6 settings, at least I can open my last project. It’s hard to tell to what extend modified libraries will be used as this project still consists of a schematic with standard symbols only right now.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.