V5.99 Fill Zones not showing a filled

Version info below - using Win10/64

I have a small board with 3 copper zones on the bottom. All had been going fine most of today (when I installed the below shown version). As I was moving something, an automatic fill update occured and I lost the two rightmost fill zones. By lost, the fill would not appear but it would show like “Show only Zone Boundaries” I played with the parts on the right hand zone and it “came back”. However the middle zone is being stubborn. I deleted it an redrew it with no change.

Issue or could be something suppressing this zone?

BTW for all 3 zones the properties are the same except of the net assignment (see below)
I realized the screenshots are not very helpful but it is all I could think of.

John

**Application: KiCad
Version: (5.99.0-1669-g13493437d), release build
Libraries:
wxWidgets 3.0.4
libcurl/7.66.0 OpenSSL/1.1.1d (Schannel) zlib/1.2.11 brotli/1.0.7 libidn2/2.2.0 libpsl/0.21.0 (+libidn2/2.1.1) nghttp2/1.39.2
Platform: Windows 8 (build 9200), 64-bit edition, 64 bit, Little endian, wxMSW
Build Info:
Build date: May 14 2020 21:03:58
wxWidgets: 3.0.4 (wchar_t,wx containers,compatible with 2.8)
Boost: 1.71.0
OpenCASCADE Community Edition: 6.9.1
Curl: 7.66.0
Compiler: GCC 9.2.0 with C++ ABI 1013

Build settings:
KICAD_SCRIPTING=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_MODULES=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_PYTHON3=OFF
KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON_PHOENIX=OFF
KICAD_SCRIPTING_ACTION_MENU=ON
BUILD_GITHUB_PLUGIN=ON
KICAD_USE_OCE=ON
KICAD_USE_OCC=OFF
KICAD_SPICE=ON

Your middle zone is connected to net “GNDiso”, and all SMT components are on the front, while the zone is on the back. I see 2 via’s, but those are also free floating. If you re connect the via’s to the pads, and then refill the zones with b, then the middle zone should refill again.

In KiCad zones only fill if they are connected to something.
This is good because it prevents you from making unconnected copper, and the big “gaps” in zones (which often occur if zones are crossed by traces) are very visual and therefore a good indicator.

I am a bit confused, as you should have plenty of experience with KiCad to know this, but still, from what I can gather from the screenshot it is correct and according to the way KiCad works the zone should not be filled, because nothing is connected to it.

Thanks, I’ll keep that in mind. However I don’t think that is the issue this time. The board was fully layed out when I was working with a footprint that was aggravating me because the “Value” which was turned “not visible” was on even with all the layers unchecked. As I was playing with it the fills refreshed and the two on the right were unfilled, as you now see the middle one.
So either this version has some strange issues or I succeeded in confusing the program with all the recent footprint changes I was making.

John

I have no crystal ball to see your previous board.
If that aggravating footprint had a THT hole to connect with B.Cu then it explains it all.

So, If you connect the GNDiso net on the front with a via to the back. Does your zone refill then with b?

I have no crystal ball to see your previous board.

I understand. I only posted it in case someone else found something similar. By the time I decided I couldn’t fix it I’d deleted a lot of tracks and moved things around to what you see here.

At the time it happened I wasn’t even working on the middle section, I was working on the right hand section. When zones refill I get a popup box that dissipapears before I can read it, a full screen white “flash” then the zones are redrawn.

In this case after the white “flash” both the middle and right zone fills went to hashed border only at the exact same time.

I finally got the right section back by moving components off then back on again.

Currently I deleted the whole board on the chance there was something amiss in the file. I restarted using an earlier screen shot to speed up the re-do.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.