V5.99 dont delete reference when moving a part

I think there was a nightly build which did NOT delete the reference when cutting a part from one sheet and pasting it to another (hirarchical) sheet in the same schematic. Now this feature is gone. I checked yesterday with a new nightly build on linux mint. It would be a nice feature to have a “move part to sheet” or at least NOT delete the reference when cutting. It would be fine to delete when copying. This is also true for multi unit parts like ICs.

I just verified the function is still present in the latest nightly.
You first cut as any regular cut and then use "Paste Special"
from the pop up menu from the Right Mouse Button.

Version used:

Application: KiCad Schematic Editor

Version: 5.99.0-unknown-b4f5b6ef3c~130~ubuntu20.04.1, release build

Libraries:
	wxWidgets 3.0.4
	libcurl/7.68.0 OpenSSL/1.1.1f zlib/1.2.11 brotli/1.0.7 libidn2/2.2.0 libpsl/0.21.0 (+libidn2/2.2.0) libssh/0.9.3/openssl/zlib nghttp2/1.40.0 librtmp/2.3

Platform: Linux 5.4.0-74-generic x86_64, 64 bit, Little endian, wxGTK, xfce, x11

Build Info:
	Date: Jun 15 2021 08:44:17
	wxWidgets: 3.0.4 (wchar_t,wx containers,compatible with 2.8) GTK+ 3.24
	Boost: 1.71.0
	OCC: 7.3.0
	Curl: 7.68.0
	ngspice: 31
	Compiler: GCC 9.3.0 with C++ ABI 1013

Build settings:
	KICAD_USE_OCC=ON
	KICAD_SPICE=ON

Thank you for your quick response. Indeed it works like you explained. Now i only have one other request: bulk edit reference or assign a reference to all units in a symbol.
Maybe i should create a new topic.
best regards,
robert.

How do you imagine a function like this should be implemented?

As long as the references are not assigned, KiCad does not know if those are units of the same symbol or not.

Probably the closest you can get is: Eeschema / Tools / Edit Symbol Fields … (Screenshot below)… And I seem to stumble into a little bug there. KiCad is supposed to pan to and highlight the symbol during editing of one of those lines, but this does not work. All of the 3 text lines in the Edit Symbol Fields spreadsheet highlight the same graphics.

It would be nice to select multiple fields and enter a value.
EDIT: Also i can’t edit a single reference in bulk edit, only the other columns.

Well, you can enter a value in one of the fields, then select a bunch of other fields and paste it to all those other fields. This also works when rows are “grouped” and not visible.

It just does not work with the “Reference” column :poop:

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.