V5.1.2 crashes when opening existing project on Win7

Hi Guys,

Today I installed v5.1.2 unfortunatly, not all went as smoothly as I would have liked to.

After the installation completed, I created a .BAT file to launch KiCAD v5.1.2 and run it along my previous two versions (v4.7 and v5.0.2)

.bat file
SET KICAD_CONFIG_HOME=C:\Users\Uniterra\AppData\Roaming\KiCad_5_1_2
START /d “C:\Program Files\KiCad_5\bin” kicad.exe

The first thing I did is to try to open an existing project created with v5.0.2, the symbol table had to be created, I choose the recommended option
kicad_bug1

The rescue library was also missing

I do not have OpenGL support in this computer, but have been always able to work in fallback mode, I got this dialog twice on top of each other
kicad_bug4

As I chose no to rescue symbols (I was planning to edit my symbol table later on).
kicad_bug5

I got the following dialog, when the Schematic finally displayed (the very first time the schematic didn’t got displayed, on trying to reproduce the bug, it got displayed for some seconds)
kicad_bug6

I finally got the following dialog, I had to terminate KiCAD

EDIT1: Trying to open PCB instead of the schematic first show the following dialog
kicad_bug9

If I politely choose “No thank you” when offered OpenGL support, the application hangs
kicad_bug4

kicad_bug8

If a choose accelerated mode, I get a dialog telling me that is not possible and that fallback mode will be used, then the PCB works as expected.

Trying to open the the schematic editor shows me an empty window, that doesnt crash … until I try to switch to fallback mode

EDIT2: I filed a bug report
https://bugs.launchpad.net/kicad/+bug/1828071

My system information is as follows
Application: kicad
Version: (5.1.2)-1, release build
Libraries:
wxWidgets 3.0.4
libcurl/7.61.1 OpenSSL/1.1.1 (WinSSL) zlib/1.2.11 brotli/1.0.6 libidn2/2.0.5 libpsl/0.20.2 (+libidn2/2.0.5) nghttp2/1.34.0
Platform: Windows 7 (build 7601, Service Pack 1), 64-bit edition, 64 bit, Little endian, wxMSW
Build Info:
wxWidgets: 3.0.4 (wchar_t,wx containers,compatible with 2.8)
Boost: 1.68.0
OpenCASCADE Community Edition: 6.9.1
Curl: 7.61.1
Compiler: GCC 8.2.0 with C++ ABI 1013

Build settings:
USE_WX_GRAPHICS_CONTEXT=OFF
USE_WX_OVERLAY=OFF
KICAD_SCRIPTING=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_MODULES=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_PYTHON3=OFF
KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON_PHOENIX=OFF
KICAD_SCRIPTING_ACTION_MENU=ON
BUILD_GITHUB_PLUGIN=ON
KICAD_USE_OCE=ON
KICAD_USE_OCC=OFF
KICAD_SPICE=ON

1 Like

If instead of trying to open an existing project, I create first a new project with v5.1.2, all works correctly, afterwards, when opening an existing project, it keeps working (haven’t tested long, so I don’t know if there are not other issues that appear after a certain time).

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.