Using SamacSys 3D models on KiCad 5.99 on linux

I usually use KiCad on Windows but I’m using KiCad 5.99 in a Ubuntu VM. The Mouser Library Loader which I use a lot, only runs on Windows.

I added the SamacSys symbol and footprint libraries to 5.99 and I’m using them without a problem.

However, the SamacSys 3D models won’t display. All the SamacSys footprint kicad_mod files contain a Windows link like this:

(model “M:\Electronics\PCB Design\KiCad\library\SamacSys_Parts.3dshapes\3362P-1-102LF.stp”

So, I created an Environment Variable SAMACSYS_3DMODEL_DIR set to /home/ubuntu/Documents/Kicad/library/SamacSys_Parts.3dshapes

and changed the line in the kicad_mod file to

(model ${SAMACSYS_3DMODEL_DIR}/3362P-1-102LF.stp

If I click on the footprint “3D-Shape: {SAMACSYS_3DMODEL_DIR}/3362P-1-102LF.stp” is displayed at the bottom of the PCB Editor.

Still no 3D image of the component in the 3D viewer.

Is there something I’m missing or have done incorrectly?

If I can get this to work I’ll need to change a whole bunch of SamacSys kicad_mod files. I’m sure there’s a way of doing that in Linux with a script.

You’re missing the dollar sign:

${SAMACSYS_3DMODEL_DIR}

Sadly, that was a transcription error. I should have typed

If I click on the footprint “3D-Shape: ${SAMACSYS_3DMODEL_DIR}/3362P-1-102LF.stp” is displayed at the bottom of the PCB Editor.

So, it’s reading the kicad_mod file OK. I wonder if there’s an error log somewhere stating why the 3D model isn’t displayed.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.