Using SamacSys 3D models on KiCad 5.99 on linux

I usually use KiCad on Windows but I’m using KiCad 5.99 in a Ubuntu VM. The Mouser Library Loader which I use a lot, only runs on Windows.

I added the SamacSys symbol and footprint libraries to 5.99 and I’m using them without a problem.

However, the SamacSys 3D models won’t display. All the SamacSys footprint kicad_mod files contain a Windows link like this:

(model “M:\Electronics\PCB Design\KiCad\library\SamacSys_Parts.3dshapes\3362P-1-102LF.stp”

So, I created an Environment Variable SAMACSYS_3DMODEL_DIR set to /home/ubuntu/Documents/Kicad/library/SamacSys_Parts.3dshapes

and changed the line in the kicad_mod file to

(model ${SAMACSYS_3DMODEL_DIR}/3362P-1-102LF.stp

If I click on the footprint “3D-Shape: {SAMACSYS_3DMODEL_DIR}/3362P-1-102LF.stp” is displayed at the bottom of the PCB Editor.

Still no 3D image of the component in the 3D viewer.

Is there something I’m missing or have done incorrectly?

If I can get this to work I’ll need to change a whole bunch of SamacSys kicad_mod files. I’m sure there’s a way of doing that in Linux with a script.

You’re missing the dollar sign:

${SAMACSYS_3DMODEL_DIR}

Sadly, that was a transcription error. I should have typed

If I click on the footprint “3D-Shape: ${SAMACSYS_3DMODEL_DIR}/3362P-1-102LF.stp” is displayed at the bottom of the PCB Editor.

So, it’s reading the kicad_mod file OK. I wonder if there’s an error log somewhere stating why the 3D model isn’t displayed.