Using old lib and DCU in kicad 6

When laying out a new design and adding components that are not in the standard library I have in the past “googled” the component name and kicad and can in most cases find that someone has already done the component layouts. It appears that Kicad 6 does not support the importation of LIB or DCU files any more and there doesnt appear to be an obvious conversion routeen. The change to kicad_sym without support for old files means that all this prior work is lost. Similar issues were between v4 and v5 and I have kept kicad v4 running as v5 has a high likely hood of distroying v4 files. it appears the same might be true from v5 to v6.

Hi pggood,

Version 6 can read ver. 5 library files and translate them into Ver. 6.
Select from top menu [Preferences] then [Manage Symbol Libraries], the table below appears.

You will notice that my library format are KiCad. An older library will show Legacy instead.
Enter your library using the + button or the File button on left.
Once added to the list, click on the line to hi-light, then press the Migrate Libraries button on the bottom right.
Hopefully this will help you.

1 Like

i can confirm that version 5 libraries can be read through version 6. i have tried it as many times as posible. it is perfect

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.