Using license question?

Hello,

I would like to use Kicad for professional purposes. I would like to sell engineering services using Kicad.

My question is simple, do I have the right to carry out a professional and commercial project with Kicad?

Please note that I’m only talking about use, not distribution or modification of the software sources.

Thank you in advance for your answers.

Absolutely. It’s done all the time.

See here: GNU General Public License - Wikipedia

Software under the GPL may be run for all purposes, including commercial purposes and even as a tool for creating proprietary software, such as when using GPL-licensed compilers.[49]

Thank you for this confirmation

To be a little more specific . . .

Here: The GNU General Public License v3.0 - GNU Project - Free Software Foundation

Another aspect of your question is libraries, which you are also explicitly allowed to use (and redistribute) in any design, commercial or not. So no issues there.

The libraries are licensed under CC-BY-SA with an exception that clarifies that any designs made with those libraries do not have to be CC-BY-SA.

1 Like

@Philippe12 We wish you success and hope at least a little of that sucess trickles back to Kicad or some other open source software. :wink:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.