Using kicad on 2 different PCs

I’m using kicad on 2 different PC, same release.
I’m working on the same project, and I copy it from one pc to another, but in different location path.
I have a library with some components in the project folder.

The problem is that every time I open a project on a PC a rescue library is created.
I thought that if the entire project is copied I would be able to work properly on the project on both PCs
If I create and use the same path on both PCs the problem disappear.
How can I work on the same project on two differen PC with two different path without the problem of the rescue library?
Sometimes I use the schematic and another people works on PCB, so it would be nice not to depend on the complete absolute path of the project.
Thank You

Afaik it is possible (and I would even recommend) that you use relative paths for the local library!

In this (freshly released) video from KiCon a idea to use libraries and their configurations is suggested: https://youtu.be/UL58tBZbCsQ?t=443

Also, the FAQ here on libraries could help you out, if you did not already read them.

In short, check if your paths in the local footprint and symbol configurations use the project path (${KIPRJMOD}), making it a relative.

1 Like

This is done by using so called path variables. In this case most likely KIPRJMOD as you say you have project local libraries.

But you really only need this for the project local library table or for 3d models. KiCad does not care where global libs are located on your system as long as you add them to the library tables of every setup that opens the project under the same library nickname.

More details especially about a centralized option see: Library management in KiCad version 5

Eeschema has links to all over the Internet for datasheets, which break all the time becuasue Internet is not really static.

So I made a $(KICAD_DATASHEET_DIR) where I save all my datasheets and I put that in the Datasheet field, together with a slash and the name of the datasheet.

Thank You.
I changed the path of the symbol library in the Project library preferences and it works.
I also used the ${KIPRJMOD} to make the path relative and it works.
I tried to edit the ${KIPRJMOD} field to change it, but is fixed and it is not possible to modify it.
Where it is stored that path? I looked in the windows variables, but I found some kicad variables but not ${KIPRJMOD}.

That variable will always point to the current project. ( This is after all why it is useful.)

I created my user libraries on a cloud service; e.g. OneDrive, DropBox or Google Drive and configured the user environment variables to point to the local location on my computers. Any additions or changes are synchronized up to the cloud.

This permits using the same libraries on my desktop and laptop along with the projects also stored in the cloud to always be current regardless of the computer I am using.

1 Like

By using relative paths, I have no problems the same project running on both Ubuntu and Windows PCs

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.