Use hierarchical pins as bus labels

When connecting a lot of wires, can be useful to use buses. I know that Kicad needs a label to identify which wire goes to, but I wonder if it is possible to use hierarchical pins for this.

See this example:

The wire VALVE1 is not connected (yet) to the corresponding pin in sheet Outputs. Of course I need to add the labels there, but they just repeat the same name again. It does not appear “clean” to me.

It would be nice if I can tell Kicad to use the hierarchical pins’ names as label when the wires are connected to a bus directly.

In KiCad, the blue bus wires are purely cosmetic, and to give human brains a hint to were connections are going, and without the blue bus, there is just a wire coming out of your “Outputs Sheet”, which connect to nothing.

Intermezzo: Have you discovered the [Ins] key?
Hint: Place label “VALVE1” on the corresponding wire coming from your Outputs sheet, then hit [Ins] until you have enough of them.

Alternatively, you can wire the bus itself directly to a hierarchical sheet.
The screenshot below is from the “rosco_m68k” project which you can also find on github.

These numbered buses is the first thing for where a bus is more then cosmetic. There are plans for also adding named wires into buses, but that has not been implemented (In KiCad V5.1.x) yet.

1 Like

Yes, I know the INS command. And I’ve just discovered the bus “array”. In my specific example above might fit quite well.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.