Usability improvements for the forum

Hello.

I am new arond here, so, it seem harsh from me to say that, but I think this forum is quite hard to use.

Here are my reasons:

• very, very UGLY new post «pseudo JS-layout» which is by default spawning a side window that takes half the width, requiring the user to take the mouse (when the user tries to write, and so, have hands on keyboard);
  • only whitespace seems to separate categories, topics, posts and everything. Not nice at all for people that do not already know the forum’s layout.
  • by default on “latest”, even for a new user, with no easy visual indicator about where to ask the question the user have in mind;
  • the posting window does not allows to use all the capabilities the forum supports, for example raw monoline text or
multiline
  raw
 text
  • Multiline raw text can be used for things like ascii art, which itself can be used to draw schematics, for example:
0 o-+      +-o 3
    |      |
    |  /   |
    +-/ --+
    |      |
    |      |
1 o-+      +-o 4

(this is meant to represent a tactile switch spst)

• Worst, the font used by the forum makes it mandatory to look at the preview window (or to write the text in a text editor outside) which, again, forces the user to look at the botom-left of the screen. From what I know of ergonomy, the eye should be kept a little bellow the top of the screen, especially for people spending lots of time using screens (as a programmer for work, I try to keep myself as informed as possible about how not to be injured by uncomfortable positions, but I don’t pretend to have a big knowledge on that).

Hopefully this does not hurt anywone, those are just suggestions about things I think could be improved.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.