Upgrade Frustrations - libraries

I hereby certify that I am not simply asking someone else to design a footprint for me.

My current version of KiCad is (5.1.9)-1

Hi, I’ve been using a 2012 version of KiCad and finally decided to upgrade to 5.1.9 because of access to all the new symbols and footprints available. Everything is going great until I try to create a new footprint. Since most symbols and footprints are variations of existing ones, I am used to:

1. selecting an active library,
  2. loading a module (now footprint)
  3. editing
  4. selecting another active library, usually my custom collection
  5. saving the footprint into the active library.

First I looked in the manual - the menus don’t match and according to search results the manual is out of date.

I look in the forums. my first search results describe this same process, but then I notice that that was for older versions of KiCad.

I try the tutorials and focus on those for version 5.1. No joy!

Can someone please tell me how to do this specific 5-step process with the current version, or point me to the correct post?

Kind regards, Jurgen

Well it is a lot easier now (or at least more aligned to most other tools). Open the footprint you want to copy, file -> save as, select the library you want it to be saved in and done.

Or in the treeview right click on source footprint -> copy, right click on target library -> paste.

And to make a new library just use file -> new library. Then select if you want this new library to be part of the global library table or the local one.

Further reading:

1 Like

The reason that it does not work for you is very likely because the default libraries are read-only. This is done on purpose, because changes you make to them can be overwritten when KiCad is updated.

So you have to do a few extra steps.

• Create an empty library.
  • Copy a standard symbol to that library.

… and that is pretty much what Rene added to his FAQ article.

2 Likes

Hi Rene,
I appreciate the quick reply. Seems to work. Once I edit the footprint and save it under a new name, I need to remember to delete the copied one.

Thanks, Paul. I already had a personal library set up. I was hung up on loading the footprint from one library into the editor to edit and then saving it to the new library.

Cheers.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.