Updating project to newer nightly

Hi,

A few months ago I worked on a project in version nightly r8510.dddaa7e69. today I updated to the latest nightly, kicad-r9889.4594fedc2-x86_64.

I’ve cloned the new v5 foot-print, symbol and 3d model libraries, updated KICAD_SYMBOL_DIR, KISYS3DMOD and KISYSMOD to point to their respective folders. I’ve also added all the libraries via Eeshema to the global sym-lib-table and added the footprints to the global fp-lib-table.

However, whenever I open my schematic the following list of not found libraries are shown. As a result, the remapping obviously doesn’t work. So, what have I missed?

I’m still getting the hang of v5, but in v4 there is a list of active libraries kept in the .pro file, in v5 that list is deprecated in favour of the sym-lib-table.

However, the library names have also changed between v4 and v5. So I think the error can be mostly ignored, except for where one of those libraries is actually needed by a symbol in the schematic. Only for those you need to remap.

My 2c…

Well, the remapping isn’t working, it just wants to rescue things from the cache instead of using the libraries that are there.

Interesting, I just ran into that problem, but it was because I forgot that I moved the libraries to a different folder, so none of the libraries can be found. I only found out when I tried to add a new component.

After fiddling around a bit things seem to be working better now, but the remap didn’t work at all for footprints so I’ve got to manually update each component, thankfully there’s only about a hundred components, many of which are the same.

I just noticed that after updating footprints for C_0805 to Capacitor_SMD:C_0805_2012Metric, the footprint seems to have become slightly larger; the DRC no longer passes and the tracks are nearer the pads. Is this expected?

I do it in an text editor.

1. open .sch file in editor (notepad++ works for me. Make a copy of the file you gonna work on!)

2. modify EESchema Schematic File Version 2 or 3 to Version 4

3. delete all the “LIBS: …” lines

4. open eeschema with an empty drawing (will need for searching components)

5. search for “$Comp” in editor

6. select and copy component name from the next line like “L < component_name > …”

7. switch to eeschema, click Place component and paste the component name to upper search box

8. find the proper component (may be more than one!) in search results

9. search and replace all occurences in editor. E.g
    original line:
    L CONN_01X01 P25
    Let’s suppose the proper component is conn:CONN_01X01, so replace
    "L CONN_01X01 "
    with
    "L conn:CONN_01X01 "
    (note there is a space at the end of search key and replace lines, because e.g occurences of “C” could replace “CONN…” if not "C < space > " was used)

repeat from 5)
of course finally save the .sch file.

2 Likes

That is due to the footprints being tweaked for IPC compliance, the old ones were slightly undersized

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.