Updating all footprints on a board, including the texts

I’m experiencing a problem probably related to functionality change in one of the later versions of Pcbnew.

When I right click on a footprint in Pcbnew and select “Update Footprint…” then “Update all footprints on board” and press Apply, I’m used to all footprints being updated from the footprint library. This is still the case, but the texts in the footprints are not being updated. If I’ve changed the size, location, visibility or such on any of the texts in the footprint this is not being updated on the board.

I can see that this can be a good thing, since texts which has manually been moved to a “better” position is now not reset to default position. However, in my case I where I have updated 20-30 different footprints I would really like to reset all footprints on the board according to the library.

Is there any way I can completely update all footprints? Maybe by backing down to an older version, or using a nightly build or a python script (I don’t have any experience with Python)?

I’m using KiCad 5.0.0 release build under Windows 10.

Thanks in advance!
Kind regards,
Albin

Are there options for that in the update dialog? There are in the recent development version (future 5.1).

Thanks for a quick reply!

No, there doesn’t seem to be any Update Options in my version.

Great news though that this feature is implemented in later version! I’ll try a nightly build to check this out.

Thank you eelik!

Just a general remark: the nightly builds between 5.0 and 5.1 are project compatible with 5.0 and usually quite stable, there may be some crashes but not much. Therefore it’s pretty safe to handle a 5.0 project with current nightly builds. This will probably change radically after 5.1 release. See Is it a good idea to use a nightly build version?.

Thank you very much for the information! That’s very useful to know.

Kind regards,
Albin

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.