Updating a symbol library

Hello!
I have modified a symbol and I’m looking for a way to update the schematic file. I remember there was something, but I can’t remember where. Can anybody help me?

Thanks!

Ubuntu 20.04
Kicad 5.1.9

In version 5 you really only need to reload the schematic and you should be asked if you want to rescue symbols that changed in the library. That rescue dialog then shows you both options (the old cached version and the one currently in the lib). Next to each symbol is a tickmark. Unselecting it means you do not want this symbol rescued which in essence means you update it to the new version as in the library.

If the new symbol has a different name than the originally placed one then there is the edit library references dialog (under the tools menu) that allows changing what symbol instance points to which library path.

And if only fields changed then there is the update fields from library tool found in the edit menu.

Hello!
Ok, that must be my mistake, I somewhat remember some “update from library” functionality, but I’m not sure where I have seen that. I thought it was in Kicad…
Thanks! Consider this solved!

You could have seen that in the unstable branch or could mix it with footprint updating procedure.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.