Update PCB from Schematic Warns that Zones are not Connected in Nightly

I was using a nightly build kicad-r15241.cc47062b1-x86_64-lite. Just now I decided to dive into this. I installed the latest nightly. Then opened my schematic and saved it to create the new schematic file. Then I opened my pcb file and updated the pcb from schematic.

First I neglected to check “delete footprints” and uncheck “Delete footprints…”

Now I am at this…Please see these warnings. My pcb was not so bad before this update.

I have backup and am not in trouble. What have I done wrong? ADDED: For example; the first warning says that the net +18V_1 has no pads connected. The dialog box is lying…pads are connected to this net in both the schematic and the pcb. What is going on?

Now running:
Application: KiCad
Version: (5.99.0-1619-g4165ec338), release build
Libraries:
wxWidgets 3.0.4
libcurl/7.66.0 OpenSSL/1.1.1d (Schannel) zlib/1.2.11 brotli/1.0.7 libidn2/2.2.0 libpsl/0.21.0 (+libidn2/2.1.1) nghttp2/1.39.2
Platform: Windows 8 (build 9200), 64-bit edition, 64 bit, Little endian, wxMSW
Build Info:
Build date: May 9 2020 21:53:50
wxWidgets: 3.0.4 (wchar_t,wx containers,compatible with 2.8)
Boost: 1.71.0
OpenCASCADE Community Edition: 6.9.1
Curl: 7.66.0
Compiler: GCC 9.2.0 with C++ ABI 1013

Build settings:
KICAD_SCRIPTING=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_MODULES=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_PYTHON3=OFF
KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON_PHOENIX=OFF
KICAD_SCRIPTING_ACTION_MENU=ON
BUILD_GITHUB_PLUGIN=ON
KICAD_USE_OCE=ON
KICAD_USE_OCC=OFF
KICAD_SPICE=ON

Could be a bug. So might be worth reporting on gitlab.

You can share the project (zipped) here, I can test to see if it looks like a bug.

Bob Z KiCad P Isolator 05-09-2020.zip (558.0 KB)

Thanks, Rene and eelik. The attached zip has my project files and also my symbol and footprint libraries. If this turns out to be a bug, I am happy to report it. But I am unsure of the description; other than there being an issue with updating version 5.99 and showing a similar screen shot.

OK, I tried with the latest 5.99.0-1614-gb29f55c1c nightly build and it seems to work OK, no problems.

You seem to have a installed KiCad from the 32-bit installer package which is a couple of commits newer than my 64-bit package. (They are both the latest, but the packages for different processor platforms are build one after another and therefore one is a newer version than the other.)

It’s still possible that I did something differently or has some different setting or something like that, but it’s also possible that there’s a difference in KiCad versions. I just can’t find anything related in the source code commit messages.

1 Like

Ahhh yes! Thanks. I just checked my install file and see that it is the 686 version. I think that is my error… I will find the 64 bit installer and try that.

UPDATE: Yes indeed. The warnings are now gone. Does this make any sense?

If the 32 bit installed didn’t get built in the last couple of days then, yes. We were updating old timestamps to UUIDs which was causing issues. Now we’re keeping the timestamps, just encoding them in UUID syntax.

1 Like

Thanks a lot, Jeff. No new bug reported.

@JeffYoung, that 32-bit installer was newer. It’s worth checking out with the latest code.

@eelik, were they both a bit old? If the 32 bit was just newer enough to get into the bad range, that could explain it.

(The bad range was from May 4 until May 7.)

No, they were both from yesterday. The newer ones have appeared; I’ll try them.

I guess that this is some re-iteration. This is a screen shot from my windows explorer showing the two installer downloads in question. I still have the last several installer files (that I used) on my HDD. The download dates for these last two (9th and 10th of May) are USA California time:

It is not obvious to me that the 32 bit version should function on a 64 bit computer. But if I understand correctly, if it does function, then it would probably be slower but otherwise not introduce errors; right?

There should be no difference in visible functionality. See for example https://www.howtogeek.com/194119/why-are-most-programs-still-32-bit-on-a-64-bit-version-of-windows/.

There really seems to be some problem. I downloaded the latest 32-installer (5cbaefaa1, commit date 2020-05-11) and installed 32-bit KiCad. The installer created an extra KiCad folder into installation folder and it took a while to find out why I was running a different binary, but that’s besides the point.

Updating the board really gives the error messages you showed. This should be reported.

2 Likes

Thanks, eelik.

Please see https://gitlab.com/kicad/code/kicad/-/issues/4415

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.