Unknown token "footprint" in input/source error

I downloaded the latest footprints from kicad release from: Footprints (kicad.github.io) and pasted it in my local installation folder.

After opening kicad and loading the footprint library, I get the following message printed out for a few components “Unknown token “footprint” in input/source”.

What is the root cause of this error?

I am not familar with that github.io website.

Normally the KiCad libraries are installed together with the rest of KiCad.

The libraries for KiCad V5.1.x are pretty much static, because projects link directly to those libraries.

You are using some KiCad V5.x.x version, but maybe those libraries are for KiCad-nightly V5.99.

1 Like

Oh thanks for the info. It will be a version issue. As I am using KiCAD 5.1.9 and the nightly version packages are not recognized.

Just to be clear:
I do not know if you installed libraries that are designed for KiCad-nightly V5.99.
It was just a guess that this could be a possible cause of your problems.

I downloaded the master branch of KiCad / KiCad Libraries / KiCad Footprints · GitLab

I am guessing it is the footprint files for the lastest version.

I did not go to any specific branch on the Kicad footprint gitlab, to get the footprints.

“Master” is the default branch and KiCad uses it for ongoing development, so it’s for the development version of KiCad. You can choose a tag for a specific version from the dropdown list instead of master (they are in the end of the list of branches).

On the other hand, you could install the libraries in the same way you installed the application. On Windows they are either bundled with the full installer or are a install time download option in the lite installer. On Linux they are distinct packages to be installed with the distro’s package manager.

If you decide to do this manually, you have to take care of certain things which otherwise are automatic and standard. As this thread shows.

1 Like

If you don’t know what you’re doing, it’s probably better (and a lot easier) to just stick with the libraries that come with KiCad.

If you’re curious though, there is of course nothing wrong with some experimentation, but then also start with learning a bit of GIT.

1 Like

Okay noted.

I am quite familiar with Git and version control though. I even maintain several branches of git in a kicad project, xD.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.